Why is this tree split at the base? Will it be alright?

TallTreeClimber

17780.jpeg

I'm trying to understand why this Oak tree is split up the center almost 10' up this tree? Is there something that can be done for it? Will it be alright?

Jemco

The extent of the callous growth, absent a pic of the first bifurcation on the trunk upwards?

Indicates many successive years past of structural integrity being/remaining intact.

Surviving lightning strikes is quite natural evolutionarily speaking.

Show us a pic of the first trunk bifurcation please?

Jemco

flushcut

Looking at it I would say it is a torsional crack with a hollow inside. Sounding the trunk with a mallet would be quick and an easy way of knowing if it's hollow. If you really want to keep the tree a extensive crown redux would be needed and possible some bracing. But that depends on the cause of the decay and the extent of it. As always a little hard to do diagnostics from my recliner.

colb

Structural mitigation, target occupancy and target value matter more at this point than further diagnosing why it split.

The diagnosis is still important because it bears on how you write up your specification.

DSMc

There appears to be a significant amount of deadwood and decay activity happening within the sinus just below the crack. This is the area to investigate first.

ATH

1/4" diameter rod to probe and a mallet are your best tools to revisit the tree. Put away the pruning saw until you know more about what is going on there. There may be little strength loss...or may be significant loss.

TallTreeClimber

Thanks for the replies, we're getting more information about the tree and we'll post it soon. This is a tree of a friend of my wifes.

southsoundtree

It will not be alright.

It will fall and die, or die and fall.

Two mobile homes across the street make me wonder if this is another, and the tree is a shade tree very close by to it.

Professional inspection is warranted to see how likely it is to potentially die and fall/ fall and die on a short time frame or very long time frame.

TallTreeClimber

The crack in on the west side. It does not seem hollow. The area at the base is rotting. I did not tear it out. Knife through the crack I can feel solid.