Which "HANDLED" ascender has no sharp teeth

Big Kawika

I hate teeth biting my rope. I'm wondering which 1 or 2 handed ascender uses no teeth to do the gripping. I'm looking for A pinching lever or pinching cam type that doesn't tear up the rope like All those sharp little teeth.

Jehinten

I hate teeth biting my rope. I'm wondering which 1 or 2 handed ascender uses no teeth to do the gripping. I'm looking for A pinching lever or pinching cam type that doesn't tear up the rope like All those sharp little teeth.

I've read somewhere that they were talking of creating a hand ascender with the same cams as this foot ascender. I dont believe one is currently in production. https://www.sherrilltree.com/notch-jet-step-foot-ascender

Big Kawika

I have an old "USHBA" titanium hand ascended that uses a pinching lever to grip. The problem is this thing needs to be rotated 1/4 turn up in order to progress up the rope, then rotated back down to grip the rope and be in position to pull on by hand.

southsoundtree

My old Petzl handled ascender has been cut-down and drilled for straps to become my floating ascender for rope-walking, along with a Pantin. Pointy cones. My ropes are mostly pretty old, and in great shape.

I think I get way more wear from natural crotching, DdRT/ MRS out of trees when I canopy-anchor SRT/ SRS, on thick bark.

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Administrator
Riplock is the common nickname I've heard used to describe the tibloc

Yes..making the transition from loaded to ascent has to be precise and deliberate.

-Totally unweight
-lift up then back
-push away from rope
-slide up--no weight
-set in place and manually pull down
-load sling and step up

When I visited the IsC factory they were on a run of ascenders. Denny showed me how the angle of the teeth change on the cam face of the ascender. The teeth are always positioned correcly to wedge into the rope following the cam rotation.

Big Kawika

I'm just now ordering 1ea. ISC RH ascender. Everestgear.com has it for $86 bucks shipped. It comes in first, after all the research and comments from you guys. The whole "CONE" thing is still a little unclear to me. The discriptions and vague photos fall short of actually holding and feeling it. I'll get back to you guys with my humble opinion when i get it, lates....

Big Kawika

Of the 29 or so choices of forums/chat rooms, the title of this one seemed more focused on the subject at hand, in my feeble estimation. I'm a new member that may not know all the ins and outs of how things are played. As to why I want one, I'm a retired coconut tree trimmer, now a paraglider pilot. Our club is starting a cliff/tree rescue group. Our retired fireman club member is the cliff guy, I'm the tree guy. I'm equipping myself with as many tree ascending/descending tools that I feel might be necessary to pluck a tangled pilot out of a tree. There's your lengthy explanation that I was trying to avoid burdening you all with.

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Administrator
Thanks...sounds like a good project

Who is teaching you about rope installation? There are several thowline shooters available. More important is understanding how to qualify a TIP..tie in point. Since this is for rescue you're likely going to have to consider a two person load on the TIP..plus amplified shockloads.

What books do you have?

The Tree Climbers Companion
Oh Rope
TCIA SRT manual

Last week I was going through my bucket of ascender/descenders. One tool that isn't used much anymore by arbos is a t-bar foot ascender. For your needs I think this would be much better than the rope walking systems arbos are using these days. RW's are complex and need to be tuned in order to work safely. A sit/stand setup would be easier I think. Then, change over to a descent system when you get to the victim. In that same bucket are a couple of descenders that can be adjusted for one or two person loads. Fast or slow descents. They've worked really well for me when I've climbed west coast big trees.

Big Kawika

I'm second banana in this whole project. Our (32 year) retired fire fighter is taking the helm and going by the book on this project. He's got all the up to date devices, manuals and teaching syllabus. We're in the beginning stages, 4 classes(8 hours). Hand/voice commands, 5:1 progress capture main and backup and more. I want some of my own gear, Fire Department gear is pretty bulky. Civilian gear can do the same work and stores behind the truck seat a little easier. I've lowered many heavy branches on jobs where i had to hire cro magnon ground men with no rope skills. Cant be any different....right.....? ;)

Tony

Of the 29 or so choices of forums/chat rooms, the title of this one seemed more focused on the subject at hand, in my feeble estimation. I'm a new member that may not know all the ins and outs of how things are played. As to why I want one, I'm a retired coconut tree trimmer, now a paraglider pilot. Our club is starting a cliff/tree rescue group. Our retired fireman club member is the cliff guy, I'm the tree guy. I'm equipping myself with as many tree ascending/descending tools that I feel might be necessary to pluck a tangled pilot out of a tree. There's your lengthy explanation that I was trying to avoid burdening you all with.

Fair enough. If you state the intended use (as you just did) in the future, you'll get better advice/suggestions.

If your looking to purchase I would give this one a look:

Tony

Big Kawika

Yeah. I was a little self conscious about sounding all long winded and braggy. I'm glad to see all the supportive input. Thanks guys. I'm pretty happy with my petzl shunt for 2 rope locking and the Gibbs for single rope and steel core flipline. I'll look into the rescucender. I'm pretty much staying with the tried and true Hy-Vee and blue streak 1/2 arborist ropes. 8mm &10mm accessory cord. Sterling hollow block sewn prussic loops. In the old days I was spiking up, then Bill hook & handsaw trim, then double rope fig 8 rappel out of coconut trees. Of course I'd have to switch things up with different trees. So my collective ropework knowledge is pretty varied. When the customer wanted a 100+ pound coconut cluster intact is when I'd have to get creative with gently lowering so as to keep them happy and paying extra.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts
Top Bottom