where do you get break-testing performed on a rope

southsoundtree

You don't know when you've overloaded a rope to its breaking point until it breaks, right? Up until that point, its speculation where or not the rope is within its limits.

I'm curious how strong my ropes are after some solid use. I would be interested to see how much strength used ropes still have after friction-wear and loading.

Where do people take their gear for break testing and how much does it typically cost? I'm also curious about wet rope strength, as my ropes will be wet for the next couple months. How much to reduce the safe load capacity?

When its super-critical that the rope must not fail, like over a house, I'll pull out the bigger, next to new 5/8" double braid, but most of the time, I use the older. lighter, 1/2" ropes.

Maybe a university with an engineering department likes to use such ropes for teaching???

Brion

Re: where do you get break-testing performed on a

Hi,
Obert's Marine Supply, in South Seattle, is probably your best local bet. But they charge for it. How much? Best to call and make it clear that you are a poor-but-noble artisan, and see if they'll cut you a deal. A university department somewhere might be interested, but even if they are they are unlikely to have the kind of bed suited to blowing up any significant lengths.
Having said that, every safety standard is written in blood; people have died or been injured enough times that someone said, "That's it, we need a safety factor of x and a useful lifespan of y and z many broken yarns per foot", etc, so you KNOW that you are within limits. My experience is that, by the time you are worried about incremental nuances of rope strength, you are already way under any reasonable safety factor. Scale the rope to the job and to the consequences of failure.
Fair leads,
Brion Toss

chevy

The samson rope factory is in ferndal w.a. they will do that for you and give you a report on the findings. not to far from you. you can also mail it to them as well.

KyLimbwalker

Knot and Rope Supply may offer this service. Also, Rob Bramblett in TN has a dynomometer

Yep, we offer this. It is $15 a break, and the tester is hooked to a load coupler that provides the feedback regarding the amount of pulling force required to break the rope and/or splice. The printout is pretty neat since it shows any slippage in the splice.

We are always break testing splices up here, and I would really encourage anyone out there who is doing their own splices to have one tested sometimes. The cost is minimal compared to the knowledge to be gained by seeing how your splice either does or doesn't hold up.

If anyone is interested in this the best way to make up a test piece is to create an eye & eye assembly around 6-8 feet long. You can make pretty much any size eye you want except for a real tight eye, a 1" inside diameter eye is good enough.

rangerdanger

Hey John, it's only $15 now?

I've had a splice of mine break tested by John and it was top notch service. He even mailed the splice back with the break test paper, so it was cool to inspect the splice after being put under so much tension. I've been meaning to do another one here soon.

Yep, unless you want the rope sent back, then throw in $5 for return shipping.

But for your splices $50 cause they are so darn strong.....

(just kidding) (about the $50, not the splices....)

Thanks!

southsoundtree

Thanks for the info.

Don't misunderstand that I want to know how much strength is left so that I can continue to use them. I'm just curious to know how much strength loss has occurred to calibrate myself. Sort of like guessing a work pieces' weight, then having the measured value, allowing better estimating.

RangerDanger, I'd be curious to see a picture of your broken splice.

As John mentioned, anyone splicing would have re-assurance from the feedback of destructive testing. I'd feel a whole lot better knowing that if/when I start splicing, that it holds up to spec before committing my life to it.

NeTree

I have access to a 10,000 pound United tensile machine; for free. Certified monthly, and it's 20 minutes away.

I've broken a few ropes on it, and it's always interesting to see the graph. One of these days, I'll have to roll some film while I break a rope.

whiz

Awsome thread you guys. Very informative. Kristian

Jman

I just made up 3 samples to get broken. Should I lock stitch the splices or leave them alone?

Normally I would lock stitch the splices but it is a lot of lock stitching to finish off.

ROYCE

So knot and rope supply is where I should send mine to get tested? I like the idea of getting a print out of the results!!

YoungBuzzer

[ QUOTE ]
I just made up 3 samples to get broken. Should I lock stitch the splices or leave them alone?

Normally I would lock stitch the splices but it is a lot of lock stitching to finish off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jman, I see your in the Philly area as well. Did you find somewhere local that does it? I had Knot and Rope test a few splices for me recently and loved their service and test result sheets. Just wish I had somewhere closer that I could go real quick and not have to ship.

Jman

I never got them broken. I've been sitting on sending them out. I do plan on sending then soon....i hope
. I am also going to as for the sheets. I hear marine stores or boating supply might do it. But that's a lot of phone calls to make. I also like giving him my business even if i have to ship it.

YoungBuzzer

Okay, yeah post something if you find anywhere local. I searched a little and saw some in the philly/jersey area but did not do any calls for the reason you mentioned! But yes, I def recomment John up at Knot and Rope! I can post some pics of my tests if you guys would like later on of the sling/hitches with test results, need to see if theres a better forum to post that on or not

Fairfield

All About Ropes.com does break testing on anything you send him for free.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom