Where can I get slippery elm bark that isn't contaminated?

Bendroctanus

Participating member
Call them.. they are a bunch of herbalist hippies who purchase from wild crafters so stock is too inconsistent for web stores. Also if you need to ask questions (and I bet you will) they will do their best to answer them. If they don’t have what you want they will point you to those who can help.
Do a little research on endophyic fungi. Damn shit is in everything, best to give your cat a enema and jump on the bag
I’ve heard an organic coffee enema works wonders. “Toot” suite!

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Administrator
I've seen many aloe grown indoors with cats around. Most of them have cat bites along all of the edges of the 'leaves' with no ill effects to the cats.

Considering that arborists and loggers before us, have been cutting down diseased trees with no cross species ill effects my guess is that DED doesn't hurt humans nor, likely, cats. During years of chipping DED trees I know that I ingested dust. ALong with legions of others we don't see to exhibit any infection from DED.

Bendroctanus

Participating member
Look. We’re arborists. We don’t work in apothecaries. We just work with trees. A rather dangerous profession. Excuse us if we’re a little rough around the edges. The fact that anyone has offered any words at all speaks to the generosity of these individuals who have a lot on their plates to begin with. If the slippery elm bark they sell at herbal suppliers or supplement outlets or wherever are approved for human consumption, I would imagine they’re fine for your cat. I commend you on going to such lengths for your cat but I would have to agree, I think you’re overthinking this a bit. Slippery Elm bark is harvested on healthy, live trees. If you are really concerned about it, go to the harvesters or manufacturers of the brands. They would have more information than we have.

Reach

Been here a while
It sounds pretty innocent. Cats are weird though. I guess they really dislike sweet things, I don't know about fruit. I'll check it out though, thank you
Cats do not dislike sweet things for the sake of disliking sweets. Cats do not have the ability to taste “sweet” - they don’t have the type of taste buds necessary, so they don’t eat sweets because they can’t tell that sweets taste good.

Probably they taste the other underlying flavors, and I would guess some of those may be unpleasant, but we wouldn’t know because the sweetness covers them.

Look. We’re arborists. We don’t work in apothecaries. We just work with trees. A rather dangerous profession. Excuse us if we’re a little rough around the edges. The fact that anyone has offered any words at all speaks to the generosity of these individuals who have a lot on their plates to begin with. If the slippery elm bark they sell at herbal suppliers or supplement outlets or wherever are approved for human consumption, I would imagine they’re fine for your cat. I commend you on going to such lengths for your cat but I would have to agree, I think you’re overthinking this a bit. Slippery Elm bark is harvested on healthy, live trees. If you are really concerned about it, go to the harvesters or manufacturers of the brands. They would have more information than we have.
I have actually mentioned twice in this thread that I bought some slippery elm the other day. You guys can be a little rough around the edges, I think there has not really been much conflict around that? You've (all) been a joy to talk to, seriously.

Edit by Tom Dunlap

I did receive a response back from an Apothecary that slippery elm can be harvested from diseased trees, they just use bark that hasn't been reached by it yet. I'm guessing (hoping) this is just an industry standard so I think it will be fine. My cat was and is extremely ill and I had called a vet out to my house for euthanasia, but they said she wasn't suitable for it yet. That is part of why I am being very cautious about what I give her now, she has been so sick, and the medications she was taking before this helped make her really sick! I just don't want to give her yet another thing that is going to make her sicker. So, that is the reason for my question in the first place, and you guys have helped me figure out what to look for and I appreciate it very much, rough around the edges or not. Being rough around the edges is not insulting, I don't see why it ever would be.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cats do not dislike sweet things for the sake of disliking sweets. Cats do not have the ability to taste “sweet” - they don’t have the type of taste buds necessary, so they don’t eat sweets because they can’t tell that sweets taste good.

Probably they taste the other underlying flavors, and I would guess some of those may be unpleasant, but we wouldn’t know because the sweetness covers them.
I have no idea really, it was something her vet told me.

It doesn’t kill you. It cleanses your colon. Very good detoxifier.
I think I may have heard of people doing this, but not sure. The colon absorbs much more and faster than the stomach, so putting caffeine in that area just sounds like a bad idea. Have you tried it? Colon cleansing was a very popular trend a few years ago.

evo

Been here a while
I think I may have heard of people doing this, but not sure. The colon absorbs much more and faster than the stomach, so putting caffeine in that area just sounds like a bad idea. Have you tried it? Colon cleansing was a very popular trend a few years ago.
You use decaf. And yes there are many benefits. But not going to waste any more of my time. Good luck with the cat, and remember many times animal tank from being ‘loved’ to death

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo BayLeafDigital
Top Bottom