Where can I get slippery elm bark that isn't contaminated?

Hi,
I'm looking for slippery elm bark powder that is not made from elm's in the US. I'm not sure how great elm disease is going to be in slippery elm tea, and I intend to give it to my cat, so... I have looked at many online sellers and have seen many claiming to be made in USA but none that say where the trees were sourced whether they were made in the USA or not. Does anyone know where I can find this?

Why are you giving it to your cat?

Where do you live? You might be able to harvest your own if there are slippery elms near where you live.
It's good for cats that have constipation, and it soothes their stomachs. My cat has chronic constipation because she has kidney disease. I'm not sure if there are Slippery elms where I live, I could look around a little but I am not likely to harvest it myself. I'm not practiced at identifying plant/tree species, I would prefer to just buy it from a reputable supplier.

evo

Been here a while
I highly doubt any plant pathogen is going to affect the medical qualities of slippery elm. It’s a fairly mechanical treatment of a stool softener.
I find this and posts like this intriguing, folks that come to a professional arborist forum seeking advice for herbal medicine for their cat?!
You are right, I’ve never eaten cat, Im a pescatarian because fish have no feelings. Infant I’ve eaten less than a pound of red meat in my entire life.

try Dandelion Botanical in Ballard Seattle. FYI if they tell you it’s made in the US that quite likely means harvested in the US

Last edited:

Njdelaney

Branched out member
I highly doubt any plant pathogen is going to affect the medical qualities of slippery elm. It’s a fairly mechanical treatment of a stool softener.
I find this and posts like this intriguing, folks that come to a professional arborist forum seeking advice for herbal medicine for their cat?!
You are right, I’ve never eaten cat, in a pescatarian because fish have no feelings. Infant I’ve eaten less than a pound of red meat in my entire life.

try Dandelion Botanical in Ballard Seattle. FYI if they tell you it’s made in the US that quite likely means harvested in the US
I'm assuming you meant "in fact" instead of infant. It is my sincere hope that is what you meant hahahahaha

Stumpsprouts

Branched out member

Here is a company local to me. Asheville Raven and Crone. I don’t know them. The local herbalists I know don’t go in for slippery elm bc it is over harvested. You can call them and ask them all the questions you like, and no I’m not going to call them for you. Good luck with the cat! I give my mean fat evil cat two insulin shots a day that’s harvested from a pigs gut, so I guess I can kind of relate.

ATH

Been here a while

Here is a company local to me. Asheville Raven and Crone. ...
Interesting...I had to look up Ulmus fulva as what I learned as Slippery elm is Ulmus rubra. Looks like they are synonymous (I think maybe I knew that at one time...U fulva sounded familiar???). Looks like the herbalists use U. fulva while botanists use U. rubra. Wonder why? (Not that I care enough to spend the time digging... Just interesting I guess)

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Administrator
Me too. The AI/spammer alarm is ringing.

In the past 2-3 years Treebuzz has become noticed by Google. For most of Treebuzz's life there were never any homeowner participants. That's changed. For the most part these outside questions seem pretty cool. It's nice to see how they are handled.

Dan Cobb

Branched out member

Here is a company local to me. Asheville Raven and Crone. I don’t know them. The local herbalists I know don’t go in for slippery elm bc it is over harvested. You can call them and ask them all the questions you like, and no I’m not going to call them for you. Good luck with the cat! I give my mean fat evil cat two insulin shots a day that’s harvested from a pigs gut, so I guess I can kind of relate.
We went through the 2 shots a day thing with a cat for several years. He was definitely worth it; best cat we've ever had. 20 lbs, but not fat; just giant. Now we only have to give shots when pet sitting neighbors' cat.

Reach

Been here a while
We went through the 2 shots a day thing with a cat for several years. He was definitely worth it; best cat we've ever had. 20 lbs, but not fat; just giant. Now we only have to give shots when pet sitting neighbors' cat.
My grandfather has recently begun giving insulin shots to his little terror. Err, terrier. Funny thing is, the dog was diagnosed diabetic just a couple months after he was.

evo

Been here a while
Interesting...I had to look up Ulmus fulva as what I learned as Slippery elm is Ulmus rubra. Looks like they are synonymous (I think maybe I knew that at one time...U fulva sounded familiar???). Looks like the herbalists use U. fulva while botanists use U. rubra. Wonder why? (Not that I care enough to spend the time digging... Just interesting I guess)
I find herbalist to be a strange breed. Many times appropriating traditional knowledge. Take Ganoderma reshi for example, many many types of ganoderma share the same medical properties but because reshi is used in the east that is the only one sought out.
willow is the same…
The list goes on and on. But ‘wild crafting’ has become such a profitable business that wild plants are becoming scarce. California white sage is being raped by the ‘herbalists’ and now boarder line threatened while the First Nations folks are pissed and going without so the crystal hippies can burn sage like they are a real injun

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo BayLeafDigital
Top Bottom