Whats the biggest bar a MS 390/391 can use?

I was wondering what's the biggest bar possible to use on a Stihl MS 390/391. Both saws are 64cc's and Stihl recomends up to a 25 inch bar but I seen people using a 28 inch bar. Do yall think it would be ok to use a 30 inch bar on it or is that too much work on the saw?

I wouldnt want to run it in hardwoods, softwoods for a emergency cut every now and then. Run full skip chain for that occasional cut with the longer bar.

If your going to spend the money they are asking for a MS390 MS391, why dont you find and buy a real good saw?

I wouldnt put that little thing through the stress of a 28" bar nevermind a 30". Way too much bar for those lil saws.

Buy a good used 460 and be done with it. Find em on Ebay all the time, in great shape, for the price of a new 391.

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldnt put that little thing through the stress of a 28" bar nevermind a 30". Way too much bar for those lil saws.

Buy a good used 460 and be done with it. Find em on Ebay all the time, in great shape, for the price of a new 391.

[/ QUOTE ] Thats a good idea. Once I get some extra money I will have to get me one from there.

For the guys I work with that use a Stihl, all they say is "If it doesnt have a 44 or a 46 on it don't bother" I have used them and to me Bull is right find a 440 or 460 used online and you will be happier. I have seen 32" bars on 440s and 460s they chewed through the wood.

[ QUOTE ]
For the guys I work with that use a Stihl, all they say is "If it doesnt have a 44 or a 46 on it don't bother" I have used them and to me Bull is right find a 440 or 460 used online and you will be happier. I have seen 32" bars on 440s and 460s they chewed through the wood.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've used a 044 or 046 before with a 32 inch bar before anf it does rip through some wood.

Interesting considering they come stock with a 28" bar. At least mine did. As for all the comments about how weak it is..ive been beating the shit out of this thing for 3 years and yesterday did vertical slab through a 38" long, 35" diameter maple with little more than its own weight and a chain halfway to needing sharpening. I know there are some tight saws out there that make shredded paper out of big wood. Ive owned some. But I dont understand why this saw gets crapped on so much. I see the same things with guns. If you dont own it then it isnt any good. Then 3byears later everyone is singing the praises of what was talked crap about. Oh well. To each their own

Reach

Been here a while
Interesting considering they come stock with a 28" bar. At least mine did. As for all the comments about how weak it is..ive been beating the shit out of this thing for 3 years and yesterday did vertical slab through a 38" long, 35" diameter maple with little more than its own weight and a chain halfway to needing sharpening. I know there are some tight saws out there that make shredded paper out of big wood. Ive owned some. But I dont understand why this saw gets crapped on so much. I see the same things with guns. If you dont own it then it isnt any good. Then 3byears later everyone is singing the praises of what was talked crap about. Oh well. To each their own
Welcome to TreeBuzz! This thread hasn’t been touched in 10 years, and BostonBull has not signed on in over eight years so he probably won’t weigh in on the topic.

I’ll add a comment or two though, similar to what you’ll find in a more recent thread about milling with a 391 (which killed the saw, by the way).

The 390 series is a great saw for light to medium use on larger wood. However, it is not built for longevity or the extreme duty work of milling like the professional series saws are. The saw is not being talked down as a bad saw, it’s just not built for professional use, and most of those on here are professional users.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo BayLeafDigital
Top Bottom