What's on my mugo pines?

Jaymccee

Hi, I'm new to the forum. Our mugos had a crazy growth spurt this year. I chalk it up to a cleaner atmosphere but I said if I see Triffids climb out from behind them, I'm outta here. Now I see this gooey white crud draped on them that someone said could be spider webs. I have never seen it before. We did have have a lot of poplar fluff this year, but this can't be that. Its been raining non-stop here for a few weeks and that could be why its gooey. Also, its only on two of the three bushes which I find odd. It isn't on the one closest to the door in the photo. Can anyone help with identification and should I be treating? I have a cat and there are many others in the neighbourhood I wouldn't want to poison. 20200704_172156.jpg 20200704_172317.jpg

Reach

Perhaps some sort of crazy mite infestation? I’m not an expert on insect/mite ID, but for sure it’s some type of mite or insect. Someone here will likely know, I’m sure. Perhaps @JD3000?

Jaymccee

Like what JD said. When in the woods and fields, they are known as "fairy handkerchiefs".
Thanks KT. I guess nothing to worry about then. I'm having our arborist come out for a deep fertilization of some trees next week. I'll have him take a look at the health of the mugos as well.

Jaymccee

I don't know what Ohio's temperate/hardiness zones are but we are in a semi-rural zone 2/3 and have had an unseasonably late growing season this year so I would hardly say summer, let alone middle of summer.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom