What's going on with this leaky long leaf pine?

Winchman

Another neighbor's tree, this one is about 20"dbh. Appears healthy in the canopy, but sap has been leaking from vertical splits around the base that extend about six feet up.
IMG_3608 (2)_LI.jpg
IMG_3610 (2)_LI.jpg IMG_3611.JPG
There's also this cavity at the base that appears to extend inward at least eight inches. I've seen similar cavities on other pines that had significant rot in the trunk above the cavity. IMG_3614.JPG
The tree leans slightly towards my neighbor's house. The yellow lines drop from a TIP right next to the trunk about 55' up.
IMG_3612.JPG

Last edited:

Winchman

The first and third photos are of the south side of the tree, and the second photo is of the west side of the tree. That puts the cracks 90 degrees apart. The cavity in the last photo is on the east side of the tree.

The highest winds around here in the last five years were from the southeast at fifty mph associated with Hurricane Michael in 2018. No trees were felled in this neighborhood, but some trees lost limbs.

Here's the photo that doesn't appear in the first post.
IMG_3612.JPG

Last edited:

oldoakman

What direction did the wind from michael come from in relation to the cracks. My thoughts are that those winds started the cracks internally and the surface evidence is just now apparent. Long leaf likes to weep resin like that in my experience. It doesn't appear to be an imminent threat but certainly keep an eye on it.

Winchman

On a clock face the cracks would be at six and nine with the wind at five. The cavity would be at three.

I sure would like to see the inside of the tree to see what's going on, but I see no point in cutting it any time soon.

Last edited:

oldoakman

Thanks Winch for the reference of wind and cracks. I believe the winds from hurricane Michael could have been the initiating factors for the cracks. At this time and from your photos, they are essentially nonthreatening but nonetheless bear continued monitoring. The cavity seems of minor importance to me at this time, again, from what is evident in the photo.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom