Whatcha throwin'

Bob Bob

What's everyone throwing these days? Maybe you're shooting instead?

Lots of new products out there...

Last edited:

Jonny

Cheapo forester and Weaver bags, but thinking about finding something without lead.
I got a few pounds of loose stainless ball bearings, and can probably find some waterfowl shot. I’d like to find some 3” tubular webbing. I made a few with 2” webbing, they’re not pretty, and ok get maybe 9 ounces in there before they’re too long and fly funny.
Kinda fun and rewarding making stuff like that.

Bob Bob

I am currently using Zing-it 1.75mm and Dynaglide lines and a mix of homemade bags and store bought bags that don't have a label anymore. They live in Wesspur and Stein throwline cubes. For long shots I'm using a pole mounted sling shot with a horsesnap and progress capturing tensioning system. Just nicked my Zing-it so I'm in the market for some new throwline.

theatertech87

Zing it or Dyna Glide smaller diameter is better for my tastes, with 14 and 16oz bags. Big shot with trigger and an 8 foot pole will launch it into orbit with A FULL draw.

Got some 5mm para cord as an intermediate install line if I need to haul line way up in the air or haul a bull line into a tree. It's way easier on the hands

Dynaglide green (I've heard it matters that you use green...) and Weaver bags. I always throw a 12 oz, with a 16 on the other end. I usually use a 200ft line but keep a spare 150 in my cube, plus an extra throw ball. I keep it all in one of those Eldrid cubes which I can't tell if I like or not. Seems like a good idea but a somewhat half-baked product.

AdkEric

Weaver or notch 10 or 12 oz, keep 14s in the bag. Wesspur and weaver bags. Zing it 1.75 and I just ordered some dynaglide because I hear it's great. I use a Big Shot most of the time but I should really practice my hand throwing.

Winchman

Big Shot with 2:1 pulley system and panic snap release. Weaver 12-ounce weight on Weaver Target line. I keep the line in a 5-gallon bucket with a raised floor. The lower compartment with a side opening holds some extra line and larger weights that I use for isolating crotches.

I didn't like the Target line much until it was broken in. Now it's doing really well...no tangles in weeks and dozens of launches. It's slick as greased owl snot in foliage, so the weight always comes to the ground.

Crimsonking

1.75 acculine 180’, Notch 10 and 12, 14s stored for double bagging. 2 cubes. 1 dynaglide with 14s in soft bucket that holds my cubes, 200’. No big shot yet, would like one eventually for the crowded throws, want telescoping Berger pole if I can find one.

oldoakman

My preference is the 1.8mm Dynaglide although I have several with the 1.75 ZingIt that I picked up as swag from different events. Although it is ok, I don't think I would actually pay money for it. I have come to really like the Notch bags and use 14's and 12's. I also have some weaver bags from before the divorce, a couple Buckingham bags in my northern gear stash and a 10 and 8 Harrison. I hope Weaver does not make the Notch bags! I have several cubes from a manufacturer located in Wisconsin that are really tough cubes at a good price, $35 and a couple flimsy ones, again swag, that don't see much action. I like to splice loops on the ends of my Dynaglide lines, makes it a bit easier removing the bags when needed. I usually hand throw, but have a Big Shot on a 9 foot pole for exact placement in big trees.

Winchman

A splice is nice, but I like to know for sure I can retrieve my line without any chance of it snagging on foliage. I use a bowline with a long tail to make the loop for the bag. I have never had a snag on a loopless line.

oldoakman

A splice is nice, but I like to know for sure I can retrieve my line without any chance of it snagging on foliage. I use a bowline with a long tail to make the loop for the bag. I have never had a snag on a loopless line.
I agree there is a chance of snagging a splice but the only time I have ever snagged a line, the ring on the bag got hung on a twig.

Winchman

I always remove the bag if possible before pulling the good throw line back through foliage on missed shots. On good shots I pull my old line up so I can use it for isolating the TIP and/or pulling up my climbing rope.

arbolson

I agree there is a chance of snagging a splice but the only time I have ever snagged a line, the ring on the bag got hung on a twig.
I dig a girth hitch with a 2-3 inch tail. Works great on dynaglide once it's a bit broken in. A few good tugs let's the bag drop if it ever gets jammed but there's enough friction for throwing and manipulating placement. I can't even count the number of times that's saved me.

CRL

My preference is the 1.8mm Dynaglide although I have several with the 1.75 ZingIt that I picked up as swag from different events. Although it is ok, I don't think I would actually pay money for it. I have come to really like the Notch bags and use 14's and 12's. I also have some weaver bags from before the divorce, a couple Buckingham bags in my northern gear stash and a 10 and 8 Harrison. I hope Weaver does not make the Notch bags! I have several cubes from a manufacturer located in Wisconsin that are really tough cubes at a good price, $35 and a couple flimsy ones, again swag, that don't see much action. I like to splice loops on the ends of my Dynaglide lines, makes it a bit easier removing the bags when needed. I usually hand throw, but have a Big Shot on a 9 foot pole for exact placement in big trees.
Who makes the cubes in Wisconsin and where can you buy them? Thanks!

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom