What type of tree can I plant?

dadezbombz

Good AM everyone,
First time here. Just a homeowner looking for some advice. I recently had a tree removed from my yard by the town (we did not own the tree and it was diseased and about to die so they agreed to remove it) - it was located between the curb, and the sidewalk (see picture). Now that the town removed it, we agreed that we will replant a new tree.
I am interested in all professional opinions regarding what an appropriate tree to plant in this location would be. Basically, a tree that is able to be planted in this space, without uprooting the sidewalk later on- nothing huge, but nothing small either.
I was told that some types of trees are:
Crab apple, choke cherry or Amelanchier. I have absolutely no idea what types of trees these are, but let me know if I am heading in the right direction???

Attachments

chizmin

1. Where abouts are you located?

2. Are there any wires located where the tree will be planted?

3. What species was the tree you removed?

dadezbombz

1. Where abouts are you located?

2. Are there any wires located where the tree will be planted?

3. What species was the tree you removed?

All good questions I did not think of!
Connecticut
No wires- all power lines in my neighborhood are underground.
I am unsure of the species, so I am attaching a picture ?

Thank you @chizmin

Attachments

Jehinten

Just a personal opinion, but I would avoid any fruit trees over a sidewalk. You will be dropping apples (or other fruits) and creating trip/slip hazards for pedestrians.

dadezbombz

Just a personal opinion, but I would avoid any fruit trees over a sidewalk. You will be dropping apples (or other fruits) and creating trip/slip hazards for pedestrians.
Agreed. What type of trees are good for this location then? I do not want to park under a tree that is dropping fruit/berries either!!!!!!!!

Jehinten

There are people on here who are much better suited to answer that question than myself, and I am sure they will chime in. I am unfamiliar with what grows well in your region, I am in southern Indiana

chizmin

Personally I am not completely familiar with your hardiness zone, however I can give some suggestions of some tried and true street tree species. These are species that have proven they can withstand the pollution, poor soil conditions, road salt, etc. that comes with growing in an urban environment.

Honey Locust
Little leaf linden
Kentucky coffee tree
Swamp White Oak
Ginkgo
Norway Maple
Freeman Maple
Hackberry
Northern Catalpa

Some smaller street tree species:
Miyabei Maple
Callery pear
Japanese tree lilac

That is by no means a complete list. Personally, I always like to suggest planting a native species to your state, as well as planting a species that is not over planted in your area to help with species diversification. Maybe someone on here that is from your area could give you even better advice. You could also call your city/town arborist and ask for suggestions, or go to http://www.isa-arbor.com/findanarborist/arboristsearch.aspx
and search for a certified arborist in your area.

-chizmin10

cerviarborist

Very stable member
Your city may well have a list of approved shade, ornamental and understory trees. As the tree was removed from, and I'm assuming being replaced in the same tree lawn between the sidewalk and the street curb, will the city be supplying/installing/establishing/maintaining the tree?

dadezbombz

wow- thank you so much that is a great list. I am going to look into all of these, and some of the native trees to CT- Clearly each place we live is so different- we learn something new everyday. Thank you again!

dadezbombz

Your city may well have a list of approved shade, ornamental and understory trees. As the tree was removed from, and I'm assuming being replaced in the same tree lawn between the sidewalk and the street curb, will the city be supplying/installing/establishing/maintaining the tree?
@cerviarborist - Since we don't own the tree and the town does, that is why we needed their permission and approval for removal. The city is not going to provide one- they asked us to replant a new tree, which we agreed to. They would have eventually removed it, because it was diseased/dying.

Treezybreez

I have noticed that the Chinese Elm and the Siberian Elm do well as Street trees. They have strong wood and very nice shape.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom