What shoes do you wear for limbwalking and non-removals?

castanea

So far I really like 'approach shoes' from the outdoor world. They are kinda in between a rock climbing shoe and a hiking shoe.

I got a deal on Five Ten Guide series of shoes, and definitely recommend them--

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/climbing/approach-shoes/five-ten-guide-tennie
(note the related shoes listed at the bottom)

Pros
-I always know exactly whats going on under my feet, and never slipped unexpectedly all over the place like I have with boots. They are very tactile.
-With a lot of shoes I've had, the tread is biased for forward traction, and do poorly when walking sideways up a limb. The pattern on these is kinda omni-directional and suprisingly effective for just being a bunch of circles.
-The sole compound is very soft Its soft enough to pick up small gravel when walking across asphalt. I'm not completely sure if its the best thing bark, which is relatively soft versus the rock its designed for.

Caveats
-I have cut the leather stepping on my chainsaw bar, I wonder if the'nubuck' leather might be less durable than suede.
-Low cut types dont protect your ankle from your foot ascender, although its not an issue for me. Some approach shoes come in a boot cut. I like the extra flexibility though.
-Not sure how long the softer sole compound lasts in daily wear. I think I met a roofer years ago that was very happy with them as a daily wear work boot (different Five Ten boot but same "Stealth" compound), they lasted two years. Maybe he was a supervisor type though lol.

I'm unsure about longevity but I'll update this with my own experience in this application.

I also have some of the old style Salewa GTX boots that everyone was recommending on here in the past, they honestly still look too nice to work in lol. But I'll climb in them soon for comparison.

rope-a-dope

I have a pair of Solomon hikers that are really nice to climb in but are on their last legs with less than a year of constant use. I'm now a committed boot switcher for on/off spikes so I can get more life out of the light footwear.

oldoakman

I have a pair of Solomon hikers that are really nice to climb in but are on their last legs with less than a year of constant use. I'm now a committed boot switcher for on/off spikes so I can get more life out of the light footwear.
A year is about all I have ever gotten out of boots that I WORK in every day. My salewas have given 2 and 1.5 years so far with everyday wear, but it isn't the same type wear they would get climbing every day etc. I am curious about the Arb Evo2's and the way they would hold up. I hear a lot of guys complaining that they wear quickly doing ground work. I also switch to my loggers when on the spikes.

treegongfu

Arbpro evo2's 4 me 2. I've tried various approach shoes but I'm getting greater longevity out of the arbpro.

NorCalBrock

I wear Scarpa GTX - tried Solomon and Salewa but the eyes kept breaking and the rubber kept coming apart.

I have very narrow feet - the Scarpa's fit great and are nearly indestructible and have a great heal for spurs, yet enough flex and give for pruning.

https://www.scarpa.com/kailash-gtx-15

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sgriff

5/10's have the best grip I've ever used,got the clip n step and felt they are slippery in comparison,but far more comfortable than my tenny guides.

Is the evo 2 similar fit as the clipnstep?

Limb It

I recommend ballerina slippers. You want to be light on your feet. Or maybe a pair of loafers. Talk about loafers, take my groundies... please!
Ok, I'm just going to order another drink and shut up, now.
:inocente:
Are those loafers former gophers?

JeffGu

They were gopher golfers... one of them was wearing a hat that said, "Make This Shithole Great Again" and the other one would wander around underneath the tree during removals shouting, "Replace your divot, sir!" and "Fore!" during the backcut.

swingdude

De' Island Buzzer
5/10's have the best grip I've ever used,got the clip n step and felt they are slippery in comparison,but far more comfortable than my tenny guides.

Is the evo 2 similar fit as the clipnstep?
Hell no....fuck I hated the Evo 2 out the box....fit fucked....sent them back....clip and steps are the bomb....coming from 5 pairs of Salewas....I get about a year out of boots....now I soon will have 2 pairs of clip and steps to rotate....sorry I ever sold my first pair years ago without giving them a fair go....much better for me than Salewas.....2 cents

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom