What kind of Palms are these?

whatinthetree

Hey everyone, sorry for the bad picture let me know if we need another one.
IMG_20190707_192126.jpg If anyone knows what kind of palms these are could anyone recommend how I could help nurse them back to health and make them less beat up looking?

Last edited:

cerviarborist

Very stable member
It would be very helpful to know where you are. My quick guess is Washingtonia robusta, (California Fan Palm) but I'm fully prepared to be completely wrong. Depending upon where you are, you may want to fertilize with a slow release component 8-2-12+4 with micronutrient formulation. The problem is finding a formulation consisting entirely of time-released components. Any other palm fertilizer is a waste of time and money.

Other than that, they are self cleaning palms. The petticoats forming from dead fronds are excellent habitat for mosquito eating bats. Periodically the leaf bases will slough off on their own. Trying to remove them prematurely can leave wounds in the trunk, which can then be colonized by Thielaviopsis fungi.

Don't prune off any fronds with any green at all in them. They're considered self-cleaning palms and really don't require pruning.

cerviarborist

Very stable member
Something to remember is that you can't improve palm leaves which have already been damaged. The appearance of the palm will improve as new leaves emerge under adequate nutrition which lets them completely form. As old leaves at the bottom senesce, over the course of two or three years, you'll wind up with a full 360 degree globe of green leaves. Those are still relatively young palms. As they grow you'll also want to plant succession foliage at their bases, which will grow and fill in the area below the canopies. That way when the height of the palms exceeds the aesthetics of the building they're planted in front of, you can remove them without a total loss of foliage in those symmetrical plantings.

Chaplain242

Now I want to blow up a palm tree. Thanks a lot. I live in southwestern PA. We don't have any palm trees. I will have to travel quite far to fulfill this new desire.
O think its a latent desire in all of us, exacerbated by pruning them with the incorporated encounters with cockroaches, rat faeces and husk dust...

swingdude

De' Island Buzzer
They're not worth it. Shouldn't even be called trees. Palm grass.
Shit sticks.....killed 2 yesterday....was a pleasure.....I hardly do any. I jack up proce on cleaning them so people would run. If I get them at least I make money. I abhor the nasty useless things. They just suck the planet like lawns.....

It would be very helpful to know where you are. My quick guess is Washingtonia robusta, (California Fan Palm) but I'm fully prepared to be completely wrong. Depending upon where you are, you may want to fertilize with a slow release component 8-2-12+4 with micronutrient formulation. The problem is finding a formulation consisting entirely of time-released components. Any other palm fertilizer is a waste of time and money.

Other than that, they are self cleaning palms. The petticoats forming from dead fronds are excellent habitat for mosquito eating bats. Periodically the leaf bases will slough off on their own. Trying to remove them prematurely can leave wounds in the trunk, which can then be colonized by Thielaviopsis fungi.

Don't prune off any fronds with any green at all in them. They're considered self-cleaning palms and really don't require pruning.
California fan palm is a filifera, a Mexican fan palm is a robusta,
Jeff