What is this tree and what is growing on it?

Arbor Glen

This wonderful tree is growing in the front yard of my new house. I think it's a cypress because many trees grow in the back with knees coming up (the knees were the give away). I don't know a lot about trees but you guys sure seem to. Any thoughts on species and perhaps what this huge leafy situation growing on it is? I don't want anything harming my tree. Any thoughts on how to keep it healthy are appreciated. Thanks all. Oh, I'm in South Florida.

Attachments

cerviarborist

Very stable member
Try a better image. Detail of leaves is critical for identification. Try taking close ups of the leaves and branches in the canopy, then the stem.. hopefully some bark showing beneath the leafy vine, and lastly some shots of trunk area at grade level.

cerviarborist

Very stable member
That is Swietenia mahogoni. Mahogany. I'm not certain of the genus/species of the vine growing on it though. As an arborist and a Floridian, I'm not a fan of vines growing up trees, as they tend to obscure the trunk and root plate from inspection and also keep the area dark and moist. Ideal conditions for the promotion of fungi as well as providing cover for opportunistic creatures which can access the root plate without being seen or eaten by predators.

It doesn't appear that the vine in and of itself is harming the tree. It's merely using the tree as scaffolding. However the vine does prevent thorough inspection of the tree and does give cover to fungi, bacteria, vertebrates and invertebrates, which might do harm.

southsoundtree

I just peeled ivy off firs' trunks, hiding a defect.

Had a customer's entire maple girdled by rodents at the base, protected from predators by ivy cover. I barely saw it. They had no idea.

JeffGu

The vine looks like a philodendron... probably Philodendron maximum... they grow outdoors in Florida.
It won't hurt the tree, but as others have said, you might consider removing it if it prevents you from keeping an eye on the tree's trunk and root flare.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom