what is this knob on my chainsaw?

paulmars

I found this old craftsman electric chainsaw in a garbage can. Chain was beyond dull. Got new chain and except for oil leak while sitting on shelf, it works great. However, there is this knob (red arrow) and I don't know what it does. I asked sears and they don't know and don't have the user manual and I cant find it online. It's not for chain tightness adjustment. Im sure you all already know that based on where it is, but I need to say that now to save me from having to respond to someone who might suggest that.

It can be turned in either direction as many times as you want. It never stops or gets tighter. It's got mild resistance which never changes when turning it. It is attached with set screw. I removed the set screw and knob and you can see the retaining clip below that.

I can't see any thing related to that knob by looking into the oil filler when its cap is removed. Even when looking at angle w/flashlight to try and see below the knob.

Black arrow is a spring loaded push button, below the oil filler cap. What is that for? Someone suggested it's to prime the chain after it's filled, if it ran out of oil. I doubt that.

power-sharp
model number 315.34170
sears roebuck and co
simpson-sears LTD.

Attachments

• chainsaw craftsmen a (1).JPG
    chainsaw craftsmen a (1).JPG
    248.5 KB · Views: 53
  • chainsaw craftsmen a (2).jpg
    chainsaw craftsmen a (2).jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20190110_141632.jpg
    IMG_20190110_141632.jpg
    907.4 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20190818_110543.jpg
    IMG_20190818_110543.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20201120_152219.jpg
    IMG_20201120_152219.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20201120_1442000 (1).jpg
    IMG_20201120_1442000 (1).jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20201120_1442000 (2).JPG
    IMG_20201120_1442000 (2).JPG
    378.2 KB · Views: 54

Bob Bob

What kind of bar oiling system does the saw have? I rememebr my father having an old unknown brand saw that required you to manually oil the bar by pushing a button with your thumb.

oldoakman

The saw is an old power sharp. Had a special chain and there was a sharpening stone that the button would move the stone onto the chain. You held the button down and tapped the trigger to spin the chain and sharpen it. Oregon resurrected that system several years ago except the Sharpening system was mounted on the end of the bar.

Jehinten

The saw is an old power sharp. Had a special chain and there was a sharpening stone that the button would move the stone onto the chain. You held the button down and tapped the trigger to spin the chain and sharpen it. Oregon resurrected that system several years ago except the Sharpening system was mounted on the end of the bar.
I have an old McChulloch miniMac that had a similar system. The push button and sharpening stone were gone by the time I bought it, but the mounting bracket was still there.

Last edited:

oldoakman

That chain and sharpener were on top of the line Sears electric and gas chainsaws back in the mid ‘70’s. Roper made their gas saws. My first saw was their second level, a step down from the power sharp model. Cost me $350 in 1974 or 75. A lot of $$ back then for not really a great saw.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom