What is this. Bark only

Raven27

I'm stumped on this wood. I received some logs mixed with red oak and at first look I assumed Maple, however it cuts way too easy,like a softwood. Grain isn't really tight, but not like pine either. It does look like a hardwood, but I'm not sure. I'm in Western Massachusetts and that's where wood waa cut. Again. I only have photos of the bark. No leaves. One photo is with flash, one without

KTSmith

OK, I'm foolish enough to step up with way too little information: How about red maple, Acer rubrum? It cuts pretty easily except for nasty interlocking grain and compound crotches.

If you still have the wood piece, take a single-edge razor blade and just barely shave the cross-sectional surface at the outer edge of the wood cylinder. See tree rings? wood pores (grain)? lines along the stem radius (visible rays)? Report back what you find!

JD3000

Most well-known member
I can imagine that as red or silver maple as well. More pics would help as Doc said

Raven27

I'm confident it's not Red, silver or Butternut, just from.what I know and looking at more images, this is why I'm so confused. silver and red maple cut much tougher than this stuff does. It.could be a cottonwood that I've never seen, but all the Cottonwood around here doesn't look like this stuff. I'm trying to reach the guy who cut it, but not even sure if hed know ( he called a silver maple cherry once, and insisted he was right)

Luzl78

It sure looks like cottonwood. Even the white heartwood looks like it. Cut and smell the chips. That would prove if it was cottonwood. Smells bad

Raven27

It sure looks like cottonwood. Even the white heartwood looks like it. Cut and smell the chips. That would prove if it was cottonwood. Smells bad
It didn't stink when I cut it,but I also didntbsmell the chips. I will tomorrow. Basswood might be it. Anything in particular that might also help tell, even though I only have a few logs

Raven27

I'm starting to lean to a younger cottonwood, they're not very large in diameter, biggest maybe 12" I e never burned cottonwood, but my understanding is it's not the best. Heard it burns super fast if its dried even a little too much, and super wet if too green. This stuff isnt really wet, it almost seems as though it may have started to die or was dead, but not too far gone, it's not heavy, nor light. There not much h of it so I suppose if my father and I split it up between us and mic it it would be ok??