What is the Sherrill Tree Golden Retriever?

Winchman

I saw this listing for an adapter to go with it, but there's nothing about the retriever itself.
1616811783430.png
It looks like some kind of line winder that might be useful. Does anyone here remember it?

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Administrator
I saw it in a catalog for bow fishing. Attach the arrow...shoot...wind in your catch.

A guy at a comp had cobbled something together for winding throwline into a plastic drink bottle.

That worked OK but not great. The winder would make interlocking loops and they lead to bird nests..YUCH

I Showed Tobe Sherrill the idea and he with his team developed it into a product. The reel would clamp to the edge of a five gallon bucket. Using divider discs allowed for several lines being stored.

The tool worked pretty good but was a bit clumsy to hold. Then you had to store the reel too. If you used a bucket that was easy..drop it on top.

For me, hand tossing throwline into a F'mer Cube was the best system

Jonny

I was one of the suckers that bought the battery powered winder thing around 05. There was a video and it was shooting throwline around like silly string and putting it into a water bottle crazy fast. Idk how they made it perform in the video, but that thing wanted nothing to do with my Zing-it. Can’t remember what it was called. Either came from Sherrill or Bailey’s,

Dan Cobb

I was practicing with the BigShot I recently purchased and after pulling lots of throwline, I started thinking there has to be a better way. I cobbled together a cordless drill powered concept that gave acceptable results, but it needs a lot of work to be a useful product. Now it sounds a bit like a tried before / didn't work out product.

(This device is just to feed the line back into a cube or bucket faster than doing it by hand.)

Last edited:

Winchman

I've found that putting the line in the bucket in a figure eight pattern and tamping it down often works pretty well at preventing tangles on the next shot. Anything other than the f8 will put twist in the line, and it's downhill from the

Last edited:

Stumpsprouts

Took this idea from Nick Lewis, an arborist/tinkerer I got to work with for a while. His version was more durable and pretty than this. No wind knots, like, ever. The pegs are secured to a circular piece of wood at the bottom of the 5 gal bucket. The pegs keep the loops from folding on top of each other in transit. Works really well, but honestly, I just use the cubes since this takes up a lot more space.

Attachments

• A5128BAB-1447-48A0-AEE0-B93369E7F762.jpeg
    A5128BAB-1447-48A0-AEE0-B93369E7F762.jpeg
    314.7 KB · Views: 19

Reach

Took this idea from Nick Lewis, an arborist/tinkerer I got to work with for a while. His version was more durable and pretty than this. No wind knots, like, ever. The pegs are secured to a circular piece of wood at the bottom of the 5 gal bucket. The pegs keep the loops from folding on top of each other in transit. Works really well, but honestly, I just use the cubes since this takes up a lot more space.
That is similar to the boxes that sailors in the days of old stored shot lines in to shoot messenger lines from ship to ship at sea.

Winchman

That looks like something that might work. I have a lower compartment in my throwline bucket for extra weights and the stuff I use to isolate the TIP, so I can put the plywood with the wires right on top of the false bottom.

I'm surprised there's been no reply with a picture of a dog, so I googled "Golden Retriever named Sherry".
1616852534143.png

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom