What if you didn’t have to work?

CanaryBoss

What if somebody offered to bring a management style your company to build it to where you didn’t have to work? The company would be run by well trained managers and a set of guidelines that kept your equipment maintained, employees trained, phones answered, and jobs scheduled. You would simply act as a consultant to the company you already own. In return you would give the managing institution a set percentage of gross sales. What would it be worth to you and would you consider it at all? What would be your greatest fear? What would you do with your newfound freedom?

RBJtree

I would climb when I want to and not climb when I don't. I still really enjoy climbing. Most days. Not as much when I'm hurt, or it's cold out, or it's a real nasty tree. I would be perfectly happy to never do another bid, or do office work. I do those things so I can get paid to climb and not have a boss.

Last edited:

CanaryBoss

I hear that. I do still enjoy a good climb. We got a new office a couple months ago and I just saw it for the first time on Friday. I won’t go back again until I’m forced. I still have no boss, but this proposed scenario has become my reality. I am enjoying it far more than I ever thought I would.

CanaryBoss

I’m wanting to find out what it’s worth. I’m talking with another large tree service now about accomplishing the same thing for their company and owner. We want to refine their process to make it where the owner doesn’t have to be present and yet still gives up no quality or control while enjoying the pay of being an owner. Would y’all seriously consider what this proposal would be worth to you if it could be a reality? I mean really consider it. Set aside your disbelief of possibility and really consider, what if you didn’t have to be there tomorrow or the next day and so on? Is there a value in that to you? What percentage would you give up for it. Not ownership percentage, percentage of gross sales? If it could really be done, what would you give for it?

evo

I couldn’t and wouldn’t ever go hands off. Perhaps be a ‘employee’ while working for my own company in disguise.
But I’m also not into this to get rich, or to capitalize on others labor. I just want a good living wage, buy a house, put something away for retirement and give my kids a decent quality of life. The day my calluses go soft just shoot me so my family can have the life insurance money

CanaryBoss

I know not everyone will have a desire for the scenario. But for those who would, if anyone other than I would, what’s it worth.

samsquatch

If it could really be done, what would you give for it?
Given the excellent set of easy-to-use business admin tools available to us small business owners today, the overhead in time and cost you're referring to is not worth that much anymore. And I enjoy the working part. You wouldn't be able to keep me off the job. So.. 0.5%?

CanaryBoss

Given the excellent set of easy-to-use business admin tools available to us small business owners today, the overhead in time and cost you're referring to is not worth that much anymore. And I enjoy the working part. You wouldn't be able to keep me off the job. So.. 0.5%?
With not giving up the work, it limits the value for sure. I’m referring to NO TIME ON THE SITE, unless it’s simply recreational, but never out of necessity. I though I could never give it up cause I thought quality would suffer, but it hasn’t. I do love my job, but not more than my boys and wife. Time with them far outweighs the value of time on site. For those who would agree, what would you give for it?

CanaryBoss

I can understand wanting to teach them values for sure. I worked a full day on one of my crews on Monday. I do enjoy it, I just want to be able to say no when I need to be at home or helping my wife with the kids. I have some other business ventures in mind. I even recently bought a lawnmower and started cutting my own grass. It was the weirdest thing at first cause I used to not have the time for the small stuff. I think I’m going to learn to maintain my pool myself just cause I have the time. I’m no proponent of becoming a couch potatoe. I just just want my business to work for me. Also, according to every valuator I have ever spoken with, the sale value of a company is reflected in the company’s ability to run without the owner.

RBJtree

I would like to build my business to where I have the people in place so I have the option not to work, or to delegate authority on any level, but not to give up control.
Also, I enjoy work climbing, not recreational climbing. I've thought about rec. Climbing and I look at a tree and think, I'm going to go up and do what? Nothing? Just come back down? I want to cut something. At least a thinout! Trimming is my art. Large difficult take downs is my art too. I love rigging. I love completing a job VERY well done and looking back as I leave and seeing what I have done. Whether it is a take down in a tricky spot or a big beautiful pin oak that looks like a tree again when I am done.

CanadianStan

I would like to build my business to where I have the people in place so I have the option not to work, or to delegate authority on any level, but not to give up control.
Also, I enjoy work climbing, not recreational climbing. I've thought about rec. Climbing and I look at a tree and think, I'm going to go up and do what? Nothing? Just come back down? I want to cut something. At least a thinout! Trimming is my art. Large difficult take downs is my art too. I love rigging. I love completing a job VERY well done and looking back as I leave and seeing what I have done. Whether it is a take down in a tricky spot or a big beautiful pin oak that looks like a tree again when I am done.
Set flags and bells and time yourself? Take more and more ambitious swings? I agree with you though ... my preference is to go up and set up a hammock, and have a nice read / nap

CanaryBoss

Well said. I’m still in control and get reports when requested, but I can also take ten days to visit the in-laws and ride snowmobiles or take our class A states away and show my kids this beautiful country we live in. I still want to get out west and do my first rec climb in a redwood. Maybe I’ll do it this year.

RBJtree

Climbing something substantially larger than what we have in my area, such as a redwood, would definitely interest me, even if I didn't get to cut anything in it.

DSMc

I can understand wanting to teach them values for sure... Also, according to every valuator I have ever spoken with, the sale value of a company is reflected in the company’s ability to run without the owner.
I sure hope that everyone else reading this will be able recognize the level of hypocrisy and bull shit being spouted in the above quote.

The sale value of a company has little to do with its true value or how a company benefits others. A company that runs just the same, with or without the owner, has essentially proved that the owner is redundant and is, in fact, leaching off others to live a life of leisure. Those are some mighty fine values to promote. Great example for teaching kids how not to be positive and productive members of this world: just live, consume and enjoy.

Mowerr

I sure hope that everyone else reading this will be able recognize the level of hypocrisy and bull shit being spouted in the above quote.

The sale value of a company has little to do with its true value or how a company benefits others. A company that runs just the same, with or without the owner, has essentially proved that the owner is redundant and is, in fact, leaching off others to live a life of leisure. Those are some mighty fine values to promote. Great example for teaching kids how not to be positive and productive members of this world: just live, consume and enjoy.
Lol fucking freeloaders brah