What do chips weigh??

Tcemaint

Just curious what do you guys think a yard of chips weigh?

What wood is heavier vs. lighter.

The reason I’m asking is because I have a couple 1 and 2 ton trucks. Both can haul and dump 10-12 yards of bark all day without seeming over loaded. Chips on the other hand seem a godaful amount heavier. I know they are heavier and carry a lot more moisture than beauty bark but does anyone know the average weight of chips is?

I think bark is around 600-800lbs a yard.

Tcemaint

Barks probably lighter than I think..

Oh I’m pretty sure I’m over “legal” weight when my trucks are loaded with 10-12 yards of bark.

I just mean the box still dumps and the tires and suspension seem within a safe tolerance for driving around town. Lol.

When I had the same amount of chips in my truck I wasn’t able to dump. But chippers do blow everything right to the front on the box and when you’re loaded with bark it’s a little more evenly distributed.

Last edited:

ATH

Barks probably lighter than I think..

Oh I’m pretty sure I’m over “legal” weight when my trucks are loaded with 10-12 yards of bark.
Obviously laws differ by State, but in Ohio, my understanding is: if you are not in a vehicle requiring a CDL there is no "legal" weight - at least nobody is checking.

However, if you are involved in an accident (either caused by you or the other party) and loaded over the manufacture's GVWR then insurance has grounds to deny the claim and hold you at fault. (read your policy...it is probably in there)

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom