What am I doing wrong? ART Positioner

Brocky

I think it takes a quick movement of the rope to engage it. It does allow the rope to slide through it both ways, something you have to be aware of while in the tree. The stiffer wirecore would seem to be able to make it slide through easier than a regular rope.

Jehinten

It should slide easily until you lean into it. Try it on the ground with your harness on and lean back into it, the pull on the carabineer engages the positioner. I run mine on 12mm Sirius and it engages every time. If you leave the tail end of your lanyard hanging it can tend the slack out of your lanyard when you do not want it to, however if you are advancing on it like a MRS system that can be a beneficial attribute as well. With a wire core you will not likely use it as a second system like that, but it is nice with a rope lanyard.

ATH

When I put it on a new Arbormaster rope, it was quite a bit more "slippery" than it was on other lanyards, but that improved with time. May be that a combination of the wire core and slippery cover make it move easier? When working on the right rope, it is a wonderful device!

GreenstoneVT

It should slide easily until you lean into it. Try it on the ground with your harness on and lean back into it, the pull on the carabineer engages the positioner.

I feel this needs to be put somewhere prominent on both websites selling it and the packaging. Seems to have to come up a bit recently and I thought the same thing when I got my first one (clearly I loved it so much that I now have to designate it as my first). Getting even an almost imperceptible side load on it before it grabs can cause issues engaging. After it has engaged it doesn’t seem to care.

Jehinten

It looks like you have it correct, and if I remember correctly it will only go together one way. when in use it will look like this drawing, and you will find it easier to grip the rope like this as well while releasing it. Without holding the rope it can become wide open and release quite quickly as well as be a bit jerky.

Reactions: ATH

Windwalker

Looks like you have it correct. I love mine and it has always locked up when needed, but it does slide easily when unloaded. They don't like sap! I keep a wire core with a traditional adjuster for sappy trees.

TrunkMonk

Correct from my perspective.
I hooked one on to my flipline for the first time the other day also and thought exactly the same thing. I'd found that it engages the moment force is applied to the rope from an angle, which is everytime you rest into it in the tree.

Have kept my Prussick and Pinto setup just incase but for now that instant grab is incredible!

Zebco Kid

Hello SadShoe27,

I just had the same confusing experience. I’m so used to friction hitches that I thought this device wasn’t working. It’s strange how effective it is in holding tight, but will glide easily when loosening under tension.

I kept trying to assemble it in a manner that put a bend in the rope. Not necessary or proper. I looked back at the replies to your post and gave it a try under tension. By golly, it works perfectly.

ZK

They don't like sap! I keep a wire core with a traditional adjuster for sappy trees.
I think this depends on the lanyard rope material and maybe rope age too. I have two Art Positioners on climbing lanyards and use them because of sappy lanyards - after about two trees they're black and the prussiks on the other end have long given up the ghost. Easier to clean than Zillon (isopropanol). One of them on TriTech was kinda slippy at first but it wore in. Now have em both on Blaze and on Tachyon and they rock. But I do clean everything after about two sap fests (as I've said elsewhere, the spruce sap we put up with here is a visitation on the earth by the dark one).

Crimsonking

I had a run in with tulip tree sap (that’s a thing?!) at he end of May. Everything was sticky, and my positioner started sliding. After the sap wore off it went back to normal

Question for other positioner users- do you find the cams slipping earlier as time goes on? I used to get 9 months, then 6 months, now barely 3. I had not previously considered that the rope contacts part of the body for friction, and that as that wore the lifespan of the cams would decrease because the overall opening is getting larger.

How much use are you getting from your positioner before retirement? Mine is 3 years old with heavy use, and some srt use still as a lanyard or occasionally as a traverse line. Srt puts a lot of pressure, which likely generates a lot more wear than normal doubled use.

Stumpsprouts

I had a run in with tulip tree sap (that’s a thing?!)
Comes from the flowers. Ants go nuts over it. My hatchback parks under a large tuliptree and it and last month it was like someone poured a 50 gallon drum of maple syrup on it.
Question for other positioner users- do you find the cams slipping earlier as time goes on?

I’m not sure but curious to find out. Just switched cams after 3 years. I think your hypothesis about the overall opening increasing makes sense.

Mallett

I’ve been using the positioner 2 w/ swivel for about 4 months and it works really well for me. I tried it on a couple different ropes and the Yale safari 11.7 was the only one that worked perfect- I’ve never had any unwanted slip, even if I load it slowly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zebco Kid

I thought I would add to this string that I swapped out my Sterling Ultimate Positioning Lanyard pulley and prusik for the A.R.T. Positioner 2. It's friggin' awesome! I mean holds you right here, right now, just were you set it.

The release under tension works, but you need to palm the device and get a sense of how much tension exists, and how the device reacts. It takes just a bit until you stop with the jumpy releases.

My lanyard is the favorite piece of gear on my belt.

Cheers.

ZK

dtreez

I think this depends on the lanyard rope material and maybe rope age too. I have two Art Positioners on climbing lanyards and use them because of sappy lanyards - after about two trees they're black and the prussiks on the other end have long given up the ghost. Easier to clean than Zillon (isopropanol). One of them on TriTech was kinda slippy at first but it wore in. Now have em both on Blaze and on Tachyon and they rock. But I do clean everything after about two sap fests (as I've said elsewhere, the spruce sap we put up with here is a visitation on the earth by the dark one).
What's the best way you've found to clean sap off a Positioner 2?

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo
Top Bottom