What’s the deal with Angie’s List??

climbingmonkey24

I created my free listing on Angie’s List recently, never something I had gotten around to before. I don’t see it showing though.

Got a call today from one of their team members telling me that it’s around $400-$500 per month membership depending how far my coverage area is ($400 being the lowest price) and that makes my listing visible. They said you don’t pay for leads or anything, people just call you directly.

Anyone know anything about Angie’s List and how it works? Is the prices she gave me consistent with past experiences to have your listing visible? Is it worth it?

dttm

No, One of my friends is a handy guy. That didn't work for him. Nor did the guys that give you leads for X amount. His word of mouth work has been the best for him. I unfortunately don't work for myself. So, that's all the input I have. Hope that was helpful....

climbingmonkey24

Word of mouth is great when you have a enough clientele to spread that word and give you enough business to support yourself.

But for newer businesses just starting out who do not yet have that type of establishment and reputation in their area and are competing with people who do, sometimes different forms of advertising and or lead generation services can be a temporary way to get yourself out there and start building the clientele to be able to get word of mouth jobs, referrals, etc.

Depends on location and what exactly you’re trying to do I suppose.

owScott

Word of mouth is great when you have a enough clientele to spread that word and give you enough business to support yourself.

But for newer businesses just starting out who do not yet have that type of establishment and reputation in their area and are competing with people who do, sometimes different forms of advertising and or lead generation services can be a temporary way to get yourself out there and start building the clientele to be able to get word of mouth jobs, referrals, etc.

Depends on location and what exactly you’re trying to do I suppose.
You are right. As a new business you will be drawn to some of these lead generating services. IMO stay away from Home advisor and Angies list. Use caution with services that require contracts. These are marketing companies and are very good at appearing to have your interests in mind, they dont. I prefer Thumbtack and services that dont require a contract and dont aggressively market to you, remember you are their customer its how they make money. Exsisting clientes are good for referrals but try and talk and sub contract for other companies. I view other companies as allies not competion. They send me work they dont want or is too far away. The reality for a new company is you will have to do undesirable work and work that is farther away. I look at other companies websites to see what they are about, this will help when you do the bid, because you want to make the most of every phone call. Consider mailers not flyers left on a door step, also when i see work that needs to be done i mail them a nice mailer with a comment about what needs done. Expect to spend alot of time not getting every job, dont let that discourage you. Finally I dont say bad things about other companys to customers which looks unprofessional, which can be very hard, this is part of creating a good reputation and establishing yourself as a professional.

oldoakman

I hate A-list and Home divisor. They claim to vett the businesses they list but never bother to check on local regulations. The city I work for is the only one in GA that requires a Tree Expert License in order to do tree work here. Most out of town companies that advertise here do not know this and dont bother to find out. FB is just as bad. The local sale page is loaded with pick up/chainsaw guys claiming to be insured and licensed.

BooRad

Ditto here in NJ. A list and Home Adv do not vet at all. No big deal, they can do what they choose - I choose to stay away. As mentioned above, attracts too many tire kickers and price shoppers.

Hotsaw

Ditto what the rest said. BUUUUTTTT... Ya gotta start somewhere and referrals can be tough early on. I had very good luck with Thumbtack years ago but Ill temper that with the advice that Thumbtack has drastically changed business models from when I used it and not for the better.
Pros: No contracts and if you don t want to pay you always have the option to turn leads sent to you off until you view them first. You can also localize your service area fairly well so time isn't wasted sifting thru leads too far away to make money on. Most of the people/ customers I dealt with were serious and minimal tire kicking. If you had a problem contacting Thumbtack was pretty easy and if you were doing your part in an honest manner they always came thru if a credit was warranted. The reviews customers left did a great job of getting me more work and raising my business web traffic visibility getting me more attention from outside the Thumbtack world
Cons: What they are now charging per lead is out of line in my area. Also they created a slot so if other companies want to leave an open card on file those new potential customers go direct to those folks and you never see the opportunity. Thumbtack says they only allow 5( I think ) contractors to bid work which I have plenty of reasons to believe is not true but the point is if you already have 5 guys in your area profiled for tree work with open cards you will see very little in the way of leads.
Summary here is use the lead gen services sparingly until you can afford to not use any of them and def stay away from those noted by others

Reach

We have found decent results with a lead generation service called CraftJack. If you want to sign up, I can send you a referral that, if I remember correctly, will give us each some free leads. We get a number of leads a week from them; some good, others bad, but they refund most of the truly “bad” leads.

We also get good results from a COMBINATION of SEO through a local company and internet marketing from the same company. One or the other won’t work as well, but both together seems to have brought us a good bit of work. It is somewhat expensive, but it seems to be worthwhile, and our organic leads have gone up greatly in the 6-8 months they’ve been working for us.

Yimboob

I've been using Angie's list and I'd be lost without it. Over the winter it was crickets, but now it's not too bad. I'm almost never the lowest priced service, but the shit companies on there make me shine.

I live in Columbus Ohio, but am from Connecticut originally. Since I don't know too many people out here Angie's list is the only way I get 75% of my clients. I'm keeping my service quality high so the reviews really help.

Depending on the market I think it could be worth it. I certainly am happy for now. Once I pick up a good clientele I'm sure that I will be able to get rid of it, but I'm sure I'll use it for a few years at least.

I've tried everything else and it doesn't seem to be nearly as effective.

When using these services sell yourself. If you arent personable you better be cheap. That's just my 2 cents.

climbingmonkey24

I've been using Angie's list and I'd be lost without it. Over the winter it was crickets, but now it's not too bad. I'm almost never the lowest priced service, but the shit companies on there make me shine.

I live in Columbus Ohio, but am from Connecticut originally. Since I don't know too many people out here Angie's list is the only way I get 75% of my clients. I'm keeping my service quality high so the reviews really help.

Depending on the market I think it could be worth it. I certainly am happy for now. Once I pick up a good clientele I'm sure that I will be able to get rid of it, but I'm sure I'll use it for a few years at least.

I've tried everything else and it doesn't seem to be nearly as effective.

When using these services sell yourself. If you arent personable you better be cheap. That's just my 2 cents.
Now are you paying for actual leads where you get charged per lead or just a flat monthly rate to be at the top of the listings?

That’s what I was confused with when they called me talking to me about it and the rep said it’s like $400-$500 per month to have your company listed at the top of the directory and that’s all it is. People call you directly instead of being sent a “lead.”

Yet I’ve seen others say it’s a pay per lead type service but the rep said when I asked them that you don’t pay for leads you pay to be listed.

Yimboob

Now are you paying for actual leads where you get charged per lead or just a flat monthly rate to be at the top of the listings?

That’s what I was confused with when they called me talking to me about it and the rep said it’s like $400-$500 per month to have your company listed at the top of the directory and that’s all it is. People call you directly instead of being sent a “lead.”

Yet I’ve seen others say it’s a pay per lead type service but the rep said when I asked them that you don’t pay for leads you pay to be listed.
I do not pay per lead I pay to be listed. I live in a highly populated area (3mil metro area) where I think it's beneficial to use their service. If I lived in a 60,000 person city I would not consider it worth it. Like at all. I'd rather use $300-400 EDDM and pay $60 a month on BBB and have that on the flyers. Just my opinion for smaller markets.

By the way with Angie's list. Your company randomly shows up as the "top 4 companies" in your area. That means you're competing with those other 3 companies. If you don't have good people skills you better have really good prices. I get about 1/3rd of the jobs I'm not the lowest price on because the clients like me and like the knowledge I bring to my consultations. I get about 40 contacts a month during busy season. Maybe 5 a month during slow season. I pay the same price every month though.

Consider your market, and consider if it's worth it to you. If someone's using Angie's list they are either looking for the tree care company they will use for the rest of their life, or the cheapest price. I try to act like every client will be mine for life, even when I know the cheap bastard is looking for the lowest price.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom