vvvvvvvvvv

Burrapeg

Been here a while
Enjoyed the video. Looks like a sweet, fun tree. I love my Gecko Toes too; great lanyard organizer. Cut mine in half also which worked great since I alternate between two saddles depending on the climb. And I mounted several whole Toes in my shed for storage - lanyard collection, power cords, hose for my pressure washer, etc. They sold in a three-pack on eBay.

moss

Been here a while
Playing around in a Mulberry. As usual I use an excessive amount of gear! Really liking the GeckoToes to organize my lanyard,

Full of great info on your latest gear and technique, excellent! I'm half way thru but have to get to work ;-)

Just a note on youTube, I noticed for my browser it won't display HD video in "embedded mode" in the 'Buzz forum. If I click on the video title in the embedded video in the forum I'll go right to the video on youTube and then it defaults to HD quality video. That's on a laptop. I expect a lot of people are watching on their phones and none of this matters too much.

Problem with watching it directly on youTube is they periodically insert commercial breaks, arghh. Ya folks, host on Vimeo and people don't need to watch ads they don't want to see. I know that some video makers progress to making money off youTube but for me personally, that's not going to happen and I don't want to be a youTube content maker prisoner anyway ;-)

Great stuff Bob Bob, thank you.
-AJ

Burrapeg

Been here a while
Love that Poison Ivy! Always inspiring footage, BobBob. Cool that you scored a Bennett Hook. I think it probably works a lot better than my homebrew version. I made mine using links of big roller chain, and thus it will bend in either direction. This means my hook had to be oriented straight up instead of sideways away from the direction the device bends around the limb. This makes mine somewhat harder to snag when throwing the line towards it, and also the connection a bit iffie even when snagged. One tiny advantage, which is admittedly of limited value, is that I can carry additional links of the roller chain, a pair of needle nose pliers, and extra small cotters, and customize the length on the ground ahead of time, to suit the average size of limbs in a particular tree. I have done it enough times that adding or removing links is less of a PITA (as long as I don't drop the little cotter pins and loose them in the clutter underneath the tree!). Incidentally, I was loading up for a climb today when I came in and saw the email notice of your vid. I have not climbed in a month or more now and I wanted to celebrate in one of my favourite trees since today is the end of my two week stint following my second shot of Moderna. Yes! So glad to get that behind me. I am grateful so many of us made it through this awful time so far.

Aerial Traveler

Branched out member
Love that Poison Ivy! Always inspiring footage, BobBob. Cool that you scored a Bennett Hook. I think it probably works a lot better than my homebrew version. I made mine using links of big roller chain, and thus it will bend in either direction. This means my hook had to be oriented straight up instead of sideways away from the direction the device bends around the limb. This makes mine somewhat harder to snag when throwing the line towards it, and also the connection a bit iffie even when snagged. One tiny advantage, which is admittedly of limited value, is that I can carry additional links of the roller chain, a pair of needle nose pliers, and extra small cotters, and customize the length on the ground ahead of time, to suit the average size of limbs in a particular tree. I have done it enough times that adding or removing links is less of a PITA (as long as I don't drop the little cotter pins and loose them in the clutter underneath the tree!). Incidentally, I was loading up for a climb today when I came in and saw the email notice of your vid. I have not climbed in a month or more now and I wanted to celebrate in one of my favourite trees since today is the end of my two week stint following my second shot of Moderna. Yes! So glad to get that behind me. I am grateful so many of us made it through this awful time so far.
vvvvvvvvvvvvv

Last edited:

Burrapeg

Been here a while
You found it! You can see how mine, using ordinary roller chain, will bend either way over a limb, so I could not have my hook aim sideways like a genuine Bennett Hook. So mine is quite a hit harder to securely snag. It does work however, under the right circumstances, and I can add or subtract links in a few miniutes on the ground when I get to a tree and see the average size of the limbs. This is needed sometimes because if the Hook is too long for a tree with smaller limbs, it will be too heavy to hang in the right spot over the limb but will instead start dropping as soon as I slack the rope to toss a loop towards the hook. And on a really large limb, sometimes it needs quite a bit longer hook. In truth, I don't actually use it very often because the thing is a bit heavy and I am often hiking quite a ways into the woods to find trees and have to pack rather light at my age (68 now). My days of bushwacking with a 40-pound pack are over!

moss

Been here a while
Great demo and good job getting the hook to snag from behind the trunk!

For these so-called positioning tools like the Captain Hook and the Bennett Hook when I'm doing a traverse I like to drop in to the destination a fair amount lower than where the hook is anchored, that way I'm not fighting to tighten up and move across. That means I'm not overloading any of the components either during the traverse. When I reach the destination I climb up the relatively short distance on the trunk trunk with my lanyard as a short rope system and the hook line if that makes sense.
-AJ

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo BayLeafDigital
Top Bottom