Vinyl Music

B_Strange

So my parents downsized and in their move to a 700 sq ft cabin they found two Beatles albums mom bought when she was a kid. One was the first album before the Fab Four went on Ed Sullivan and the second was the white album. So Saturday three generations of us sat around listening to music on my oldest kid’s record player. Kinda blew my mind a little bit. No pics but when you hear your 11 yo singing Let it Be while doing chores you get a little choked up.

GregManning

Super Moderator
Staff member
So my parents downsized and in their move to a 700 sq ft cabin they found two Beatles albums mom bought when she was a kid. One was the first album before the Fab Four went on Ed Sullivan and the second was the white album. So Saturday three generations of us sat around listening to music on my oldest kid’s record player. Kinda blew my mind a little bit. No pics but when you hear your 11 yo singing Let it Be while doing chores you get a little choked up.
I love vinyl; it can be so much better than tape, CD, etc.
But you need a great recording, & really good sound system.
I have friends that used to be really into HiFi; they don't even have a record player any more.

rico

Believe it or not I am a bit of an audiophile...Single ended tube amps, single driver and/or horn speakers, and R2R NOS ladder Dacs for me these days..Sound quality that can literally drop you in the studio on better recordings. Even after all the advances in digital audio a really good vinyl will generally deliver much better sound quality, and more importantly convey the feel and emotion of good music . I myself have moved on from vinyl for convenience and storage, but it took a lot of work and some serious $ to get a setup that is in the realm of a really good vinyl front-end...

GregManning

Super Moderator
Staff member
I AM impressed.
and I agree w/ everything you say.

I have some "Sheffield Labs" direct to Master Disc vinyl recordings.
e.g. The performances are recorded directly to the Master Disc that is then used to press vinyl records.
After I got some good CD equipment, along with my Nakamichi tape machine, I bought some of the same music on CD & cassette tape for comparison. (also Sheffield Labs brands)
The vinyl was infinitely better sonically ! ! !

rico

I AM impressed.
and I agree w/ everything you say.

I have some "Sheffield Labs" direct to Master Disc vinyl recordings.
e.g. The performances are recorded directly to the Master Disc that is then used to press vinyl records.
After I got some good CD equipment, along with my Nakamichi tape machine, I bought some of the same music on CD & cassette tape for comparison. (also Sheffield Labs brands)
The vinyl was infinitely better sonically ! ! !
I have found that the single biggest factor in getting a good and believable sound from digital is the DAC...Most Dac's suck including many of the very expensive top end Dacs..High in detail but they suck at delivering the things that make for a really enjoyable listen..

Most digital audiophiles have realized that the old chips and no upsampling or oversampling is the ticket to a great digital sound..Here are a few Dacs that I run, and in a good system they can create all the air, soundstage, and emotion that a great vinyl setup delivers...

http://www.mhdtlab.com/Pagoda.htm

http://www.borderpatrol.net/DAC.htm

Last edited:

B_Strange

P.S. I saw the original Beatles show on Ed Sullivan in 1964.
My family did not have a working TV; so we went a friend's house to watch.
Nice! My in laws and parents were talking about seeing the Beatles on Ed Sullivan. They said that they all had friends and family over as well as folks from the neighborhood. I tell you man I really feel like I was born a generation late.

B_Strange

I have found that the single biggest factor in getting a good and believable sound from digital is the DAC...Most Dac's suck including many of the very expensive top end Dacs..High in detail but they suck at delivering the things that make for a really enjoyable listen..

Most digital audiophiles have realized that the old chips and no upsampling or oversampling is the ticket to a great digital sound..Here are a few Dacs that I run, and in a good system they can create all the air, soundstage, and emotion that a great vinyl setup delivers...

http://www.mhdtlab.com/Pagoda.htm

http://www.borderpatrol.net/DAC.htm
Cool! I’ll admit to not being an audiophile. In fact most of what you wrote was like Greek to me:D
My 16 yo daughter is really into music and asked about equipment the other day. I’ll bet she’ll understand exactly what you are talking about ! Thanks! It’ll give us something common to chat about instead of work. Which is always nice!

Reach

I too happen to like good quality sound. Probably has something to do with the 10 years I spent running a board for choirs and orchestral type music... My grandfather still has an original tube stereo cabinet, a top-dollar model from around about 1960. Once in the while I’ll drop a stack of vinyl on that and crank it up, even with all the equipment I’ve run over the years nothing has purer sound that old cabinet.

B_Strange

Any one who has access to vinyl records...I envy you right now!
I grew up with em but kinda lost touch and bought CD’s and then digital music. But last year my 16 yo daughter and I went to Nashville to see a concert and one of the musicians suggested we go to Grimeys and look for records. We did and 4 hours and 50 bucks later left with Joni Mitchell, Drew Holcomb, and one other I can’t recall. I am really enjoying the record player again.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom