Video: Climber Tops Tree, Nearby Tree Hits Him

Bucknut

Looks like he did everything right, except remain hyper- vigilant after the cut. This one most likely would have gotten me too. Anything we can learn from is worth posting.

Watch till the end, there are 2 camera angles.

Apologies if a repost:

Bucknut

Apologies. Can’t get link to work. Will keep trying. Possible Treebuzz won’t allow links from the host website.

Last edited:

RopeShield

Serf Life

Thx for posting it. Super glad he's ok, even if he had seen it coming he prob would have still got smacked. Made that same sound after taking a big swing back-first into an oak last spring, sensory flashback.

rico

So this fella put on all his PPE, but left all his common sense and job site/environment awareness back in the truck...Oops?

What the fuck did he think was gonna happen when he hit that dead back leaning little snag with his top?

Last edited:

JeffGu

It does seem like taking two minutes to drop that first would have been prudent.
Glad he wasn't seriously injured. Looked like it might have hurt a bit.

Bart_

Look closely his lanyard took the main hit, I think the dead spar snapped on contacting his lanyard. Lucky it wasn't a direct body or head impact. Looked like a glancing blow.

Jehinten

20200201_213139.jpg 20200201_213115.jpg

Looks like he took a hit on the left shoulder and right arm from these views. He's very lucky that it appears to have missed his head.

Jemco

Dude turned his radar off, twice, on the same tree, and is lucky to be alive.

I've noticed both climbers and groundmen becoming so insulated behind screens n helmets n glasses n earmuffs, they turn off their situational awareness, due to a restricted field of vision and sense of hearing, and failure to look around during dynamic action, prior to triggering dynamic action, and particularly after dynamic action above you.

Some guys got it, and some don't, good radar n situational awareness.

Just as important to have instilled into your groundies as your climbers.

Like an old third generation logger once told me, better deaf than dead!

He didn't hear the car squealing squealing around the corner that hit him from behind, crippling him for life. But had good earmuffs on.

Jemco

evo

This was very preventable, go higher and take a smaller top, it’s a cedar so very likely solid wood even when very dead. From the looks of it he just needed to be another 10’ up to be clear of taking that top. Looks like he took it by a little more than half, bad call in a dense stand.

rico

Dude turned his radar off, twice, on the same tree, and is lucky to be alive.

I've noticed both climbers and groundmen becoming so insulated behind screens n helmets n glasses n earmuffs, they turn off their situational awareness, due to a restricted field of vision and sense of hearing, and failure to look around during dynamic action, prior to triggering dynamic action, and particularly after dynamic action above you.

Some guys got it, and some don't, good radar n situational awareness.

Just as important to have instilled into your groundies as your climbers.

Like an old third generation logger once told me, better deaf than dead!

He didn't hear the car squealing squealing around the corner that hit him from behind, crippling him for life. But had good earmuffs on.

Jemco
It would be interesting for someone to do a long in-depth study of just how many times PPE was a big factor or largely responsible for accidents and injury...My only serious incident was a direct result of not being able to hear.....Havent worn ear protection since.

treebilly

I was told he is ok. Just a bit sore. Knowing him and knowing the company he works for I’m going to guess that they had a meeting about the incident either later that day or the following morning.

rico

“What?”

;)

Kidding. I wear ear pro 95% of the time. I pick and choose when to wear when I’m climbing. Sometimes I need to hear the tree. Cracking , popping sounds tell me a lot about hinges and how much pull they need for example.
40 yrs of climbing and age are really starting to kick my ass, but oddly enough one area that remains damn near perfect is my hearing....Go figure?

TreeVB

He is actually a pretty decent climber and does clean work. Luckily this didn't turn out as bad as it could have. Here is a video he made regarding this incident and he is aware of his mistake.