Very Tall Rope Swing

WoodHills

Hello,
I'm looking to hang a wooden rope swing from a very solid tree branch that's 30 feet off the ground. ProManilla rope seems like the strength, durability, and feel that I want, but should I get 1/2"? 1"?

I'm also not sure how to tie it on the tree that high up or what knots/gear to use to prevent the tree from getting damaged. Should I take the swing down in winter or will removing it be too difficult (I live in Wisconsin)?

Thanks for any help. I've had a hard time finding resources or guides to help answer these questions.

misfit

Any rope tied to the branch will damage both the tree and the rope. As the weighted swing moves back and forth, the rope will slowly saw its way into the wood. There are better way of attaching a swing. I have a good friend who installs them in North Carolina, and he has some very useful information on his web page ( https://www.piedmonttreeclimbing.org/p/tree-swing-installation.html ). Assuming the branch is large enough and healthy enough to handle it, it is actually better to drill a hole in the branch and install an eye bolt. That will not kill the branch and it will eventually grow around it. Allow room for growth between the eye and the branch so that the swing can still function years from now. If you don't want to do that, there are some tree swing hangers that you can get on Amazon that you drape over the branch and attach your swing to them. They need to be just the right length so that they do not move as the swing moves. Too long, and they will move back and forth. They need inspection more often, and you have to climb the tree to see the top side.

dkjeep88

I think it's the safest bet just to buy an actual tree swing kit. At least you know the straps will be durable and not break or give out while swinging. You can find swings and hanging kits for good prices on sites like https://treeswingstore.com/. Hope this helped!

Brocky

You can use just rope tied to the branch without hurting it by wrapping the rope around the branch once before tying it.

FreeFallin

I think it's the safest bet just to buy an actual tree swing kit. At least you know the straps will be durable and not break or give out while swinging. You can find swings and hanging kits for good prices on sites like https://treeswingstore.com/. Hope this helped!

Welcome dkjeep88, if you post advice on the forum, you should be clear that you own the store you are recommending and that you are offering your services.

Also, after looking at the products you offer, they are best suited for smaller swing projects that you can reach from the ground, and smaller children. I am 100% in support of small business ventures but you need to be aware that the hanging devices and swings you are selling are not rated for anything higher than small children on a residential swing set. Anything beyond that can be dangerous to use, and can put you at risk for legal trouble after an accident.

That being said, if you want to expand to larger swings, please use this forum and other sources to understand how your products will impact the trees, the physics of swinging from greater heights, and what kind of hardware, connections, and rope are required to support those kinds of forces. Also please consider hiring an arborist, for a reasonable consulting fee they can point you in the right direction and help your business be safe and successful.

Good luck!

Rocky S

Hello,
I'm looking to hang a wooden rope swing from a very solid tree branch that's 30 feet off the ground. ProManilla rope seems like the strength, durability, and feel that I want, but should I get 1/2"? 1"?

I'm also not sure how to tie it on the tree that high up or what knots/gear to use to prevent the tree from getting damaged. Should I take the swing down in winter or will removing it be too difficult (I live in Wisconsin)?

Thanks for any help. I've had a hard time finding resources or guides to help answer these questions.

I feel if you use proper hardware, it shall be safe. Nevertheless, you can use the tire kit available these days. You can also follow the tutorial which helped me built a cute tire swing for my little kid.
https://ideas4diy.com/how-to-make-a-tire-swing

Bob Bob

Any rope tied to the branch will damage both the tree and the rope. As the weighted swing moves back and forth, the rope will slowly saw its way into the wood. There are better way of attaching a swing. I have a good friend who installs them in North Carolina, and he has some very useful information on his web page ( https://www.piedmonttreeclimbing.org/p/tree-swing-installation.html ). Assuming the branch is large enough and healthy enough to handle it, it is actually better to drill a hole in the branch and install an eye bolt. That will not kill the branch and it will eventually grow around it. Allow room for growth between the eye and the branch so that the swing can still function years from now. If you don't want to do that, there are some tree swing hangers that you can get on Amazon that you drape over the branch and attach your swing to them. They need to be just the right length so that they do not move as the swing moves. Too long, and they will move back and forth. They need inspection more often, and you have to climb the tree to see the top side.
This is how I've installed swings in the past, using Piedmont Tree Climbing's recommendations. All the installs have turned out great.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom