Vermeer SC30TX

Has anyone ever used one of these stumpers and how do you like it?
Is it hard on turf? How's the accessibility? How's the machine been working for you?
I'm looking at purchusing one so I'm looking for your thought and experiences with it.
Thanks again

ROYCE

I have used one a lot. We rent it from a local company. Its a really good grinder for smaller trees, soft wood, or rotten trees. It will grind the big stuff, but takes a bit of time. (like all day for a red oak stump) It has a small engine and it can be a lot of work on the larger stumps. Plus it can get real bouncy at times, but that might be when the teeth are dull.
Not sure what your planning to grind, but I would suggest getting something bigger if you could. I know price effects a lot of the decision making process. However, I have found that chippers, and stump grinders are two tools that do a TON of work, and work hard at doing it. I would really look into something with a diesel engine.

matdand

I still donr understand why you wouldnt buy a mini with a stump grinder attachment instead, seems it would be way more versatile for the money.

ROYCE

I still donr understand why you wouldnt buy a mini with a stump grinder attachment instead, seems it would be way more versatile for the money.
Not powerful enough. Might be good for about half of the stumps one would run into. TreeVet has a toro stump grinder with a large engine. Yet it is still on tracks and small enough to fit into tight area's. I would look into the toro (I believe it is a 38 HP diesel) stump grinder.

matdand

38 hp on the 38 special attachment, seems it would perform closely with a 30tx:

Seems that it's expensive for a machine that is built just like a mini but without the ability to change out your attachemnt. We've been running only a mini grinder attachment for the last three years (30hp) and it has been great. We can leave wood on site then roll up with the mini, bmg, grinder and bucket and get everything done at once. Has been a great investment.

I have used one a lot. We rent it from a local company. Its a really good grinder for smaller trees, soft wood, or rotten trees. It will grind the big stuff, but takes a bit of time. (like all day for a red oak stump) It has a small engine and it can be a lot of work on the larger stumps. Plus it can get real bouncy at times, but that might be when the teeth are dull.
Not sure what your planning to grind, but I would suggest getting something bigger if you could. I know price effects a lot of the decision making process. However, I have found that chippers, and stump grinders are two tools that do a TON of work, and work hard at doing it. I would really look into something with a diesel engine.
Thanks for the reply. How would you compare the power to a SC252?

Last edited:
38 hp on the 38 special attachment, seems it would perform closely with a 30tx:

Seems that it's expensive for a machine that is built just like a mini but without the ability to change out your attachemnt. We've been running only a mini grinder attachment for the last three years (30hp) and it has been great. We can leave wood on site then roll up with the mini, bmg, grinder and bucket and get everything done at once. Has been a great investment.
That is absolutely amazing!!!!! I would definitely purchase if I had an extra $80,000 Around

Last edited:
No, it has more power that the 252 IMO. It grinds better and if the teeth are sharp it does a good job.
I find the vermeer sc252 had enough power for everything i need to do. I have rented one for years but the $800 a weekend to rent one gets me thinking of buying a new unit. I spoke to the vermeer dealer and he suggested the sc30tx saying it is a much better unit and a lot less maintaince then the sc252. I have been looking on line and there doesn't seem to be any reviews online about them.

Merle Nelson

Welcome, You Know this guy. I have rented SCtx's about 4 times, once for a 4 day grind. The machines were new and I was seeing the best that they would ever do as far as I could tell.

Fantastic on maneuverable on the move and while grinding. Great to be able to just bump the tracks on one side when you want the machine to grind a few more inches to that side. Fine on turf because it's so light. I suppose you could tear turf up if you worked at it a little.

Always wanted to creep when grinding straight up hill or down hill. Speaking to the rental yard they thought maybe they came in with some type of a drift pin to stop that. Next time out I had a contractors one inch metal stake for the 'sprocket.'

Didn't seem to grind quite as fast as an SC252 with the same rated HP. When I go to rent a grinder next I will get a 252 for open and flat ground and bigger stumps, the SCtx for tight quarters or steeper climbing - and especially with small stumps.

Merle Nelson

They did perform better than the Toro equivalent that I have run one time.

(By the way, next time, this or similar topic in "Rubber Hits The Road" section might pick up a person or two who could miss it here.)

Welcome, You Know this guy. I have rented SCtx's about 4 times, once for a 4 day grind. The machines were new and I was seeing the best that they would ever do as far as I could tell.

Fantastic on maneuverable on the move and while grinding. Great to be able to just bump the tracks on one side when you want the machine to grind a few more inches to that side. Fine on turf because it's so light. I suppose you could tear turf up if you worked at it a little.

Always wanted to creep when grinding straight up hill or down hill. Speaking to the rental yard they thought maybe they came in with some type of a drift pin to stop that. Next time out I had a contractors one inch metal stake for the 'sprocket.'

Didn't seem to grind quite as fast as an SC252 with the same rated HP. When I go to rent a grinder next I will get a 252 for open and flat ground and bigger stumps, the SCtx for tight quarters or steeper climbing - and especially with small stumps.
That's very helpful. I have always really enjoyed using the SC252 but the dealer is highly suggesting the 30TCX. If you were going to purchase one which one would you suggest?

Merle Nelson

Huh, hard to say. For context, I don't like to grind stumps and only feel like I need to about 4 to 6 times a year. I started to just answer the question but that would only lead you astray. My customers and my market almost have to be different from yours.

Here is what I would say. I have not met a salesman whos opinions didn't far outstripped his time behind the bust your ass piece of equipment that he thought was perfect for me.

I would recommend you run them both or at least see them being run under real world conditions. Why? Because buying the wrong machine will add an amazing amount of work to a single job let alone to the useful life of the machine.

Last year I bought a new chipper. I rented units close to what I wanted - nice. The dealer Cal Line Equip in Sacramento CA was kind enough to put me in touch with an owner of a new machine like I wanted. I set it up to go and work a job with him for free. So glad I did, that machine wasn't quite right for me. Rented the next machine that I thought might do it and did a days work. That seemed nice but I wanted to try it with a different engine. Again Cal Line put me in touch with a guy that had just bought that machine and engine combo. I set it up and went and tried it. Now I have the perfect chipper for my current needs.

welltree

Why are you only checking out Vermeer? As far as I m concerned the Vermeer don't stand up as well as others, if your interested in a stumper check around

matdand

You'll have a better visual on the stump with a 252, but better and faster maneuvrability with the 30tx. Grinding from behind sucks and takes some getting used to, but is do-able. I try not to get influenced too much by salemans, especially if they don't have any experience in our industry.

I don't want to push too hard, but this would be my breakdown. I'm going with similiar used machines which I found on the net from confident sources, so could be a small margin to work with:

2014 Vermeer sc30tx, 27hp gas engine, 70 hours:
14 500 USD$ = 20 500$CAD
Shipping + brokerage = 22 500$CAD

Functions: Grinding stumps

Payments (5 years @ 6% with 5k down): 338.32$

2014 Vermeer 650tx (in Toronto), 30hp (?) kubota diesel, 438 hours
23 000CAD$
Grapple included
38 special stump grinder 15 000$CAD
Bucket 2000$ CAD
Total 40 000$ CAD

Functions: Lifting/skidding logs, grinding stumps, hauling brush, scooping/hauling chips, moving firewood, plowing snow, moving trailers/chippers, jacking machines for oil/tire changes, planting trees with an auger, I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff

Payments (5 years @ 6% with 5k down): 676.65$

matdand

You can also easily find a used 252 for under 10k, could be worth it instead of renting. They arte easy to work on and parts are everywhere.

welltree

If you can find a used Rayco RG50. Best most versatile stumper you can own,will give you backyard access and the production you need to do stumping contracts , we have 4 and they work everyday and are very reliable

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom