Vermeer 935 w/Perkins diesel for first chipper

Looking to get my first chipper and found this Vermeer for sale locally. What are your thoughts on this model, engine, etc? Thanks in advance for any input.

Attachments

• 4926063F-D2A7-40B9-B2D4-8275900EAD06.png
    4926063F-D2A7-40B9-B2D4-8275900EAD06.png
    479.1 KB · Views: 32
  • 4BD92305-3F2C-4487-A888-56067C9DAA73.png
    4BD92305-3F2C-4487-A888-56067C9DAA73.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 29

Lupin_IV

Participating member
I asked about 9 inch chippers for a first chipper recently and the major consensus was get a 12. That being said, seeing your location, your chipper availability might make that tough if I’m remembering the rarity of chippers on that side of the nation. I know nothing of the model. Good luck in your search.

Jonny

Been here a while
Not sure if it’s the same engine or not, but we had a Perkins diesel in a Bandit 90XP. Was very reliable, started pretty easy in cold weather, waaay more power than the gas 90xp I ran at a different company.

I’m not familiar with that machine though. But in my opinion, a 9” chipper is great for starting out and even for well established businesses.

oldoakman

Been here a while
I had a 935 with the wisconsin gas engine. Great machine, easy to maintain. Wish i still had it or one like you are looking at. You have to remember it IS a 9" machine that works well in the 4-6" range. When i had mine, anything over 5" was firewood as i heated with wood and supplied the owner of the property where i parked with firewood. It is a good first chipper. I think the price might be a bit high but seeing it in person could change that opinion. Good luck in the deal.

I asked about 9 inch chippers for a first chipper recently and the major consensus was get a 12. That being said, seeing your location, your chipper availability might make that tough if I’m remembering the rarity of chippers on that side of the nation. I know nothing of the model. Good luck in your search.
Thanks for the reply. I’ll be towing it behind a 1 ton dually dump truck so I’d like a 9” to avoid being overloaded. Definitely want a 12” or 15” in the future though.

I had a 935 with the wisconsin gas engine. Great machine, easy to maintain. Wish i still had it or one like you are looking at. You have to remember it IS a 9" machine that works well in the 4-6" range. When i had mine, anything over 5" was firewood as i heated with wood and supplied the owner of the property where i parked with firewood. It is a good first chipper. I think the price might be a bit high but seeing it in person could change that opinion. Good luck in the deal.
Thanks for the response. I thought the price was high too.

Stumpsprouts

Branched out member
We had one with the 35 HP Wisconsin on it. It is a decent machine and beats the hell out of not having a chipper. The perkins should do even better.

You will want to upgrade later if you do lots of removals. Would be a good backup machine.
Well said!

I have a 9” Carlton, and small dump truck. It affects how I bid greatly. It has a limited but extremely useful range of capabilities. But I’m happy I went with this model as a small operation, and I want to stay small. There are many jobs I refer to colleagues with full size operations, and that’s fine by me.

Good luck with the decision!

Serf Life

Carpal tunnel level member
Sounds pretty high for what it is. Pop open the clutch cover and look for excess grease, proper adjustment, smell etc as 4k hours is a bunch. Over greasing is leading cause for clutch failure. Fresh oil change may be hiding something. Look at color of smoke and smell. Check coolant before startup and after, same with oil dipstick!! Does it have main and pre filters for air or just one? Poor air filtration can lead to premature engine failure… Leaks? Anvil wear, funky welds, hyd hoses etc. Make sure it is dead cold when you view it (bring a laser thermometer). Price out whatever may need fixing before making an offer. I’ve learned the hard and expensive way, multiple times. Fine size machine though and light, best of luck.

oldoakman

Been here a while
The only real problem i ever had was adjusting the anvil. There are 3(i think) bolts that hold it that are a bitch to break loose or get the right torque back on them and when there is dust packed in the slot where it is you would swear it was welded in. Good thing is the anvil does have 4 edges that can be used.

southsoundtree

Been here a while
Seems like a good way to start.

It would meet my most of my needs. Cottonwood areas probably need more wood chipped, and a big machine would be way better.

It's a great idea to have a back up chipper, too, down the line.

Seems like machinery is harder to come by out here. Pre-pandemic, and east coast would find you a better deal.

It's an asking price!!

Ask to take it to a mechanic, in your dime.

Sounds pretty high for what it is. Pop open the clutch cover and look for excess grease, proper adjustment, smell etc as 4k hours is a bunch. Over greasing is leading cause for clutch failure. Fresh oil change may be hiding something. Look at color of smoke and smell. Check coolant before startup and after, same with oil dipstick!! Does it have main and pre filters for air or just one? Poor air filtration can lead to premature engine failure… Leaks? Anvil wear, funky welds, hyd hoses etc. Make sure it is dead cold when you view it (bring a laser thermometer). Price out whatever may need fixing before making an offer. I’ve learned the hard and expensive way, multiple times. Fine size machine though and light, best of luck.
Thanks for the input. Just checked it out and seemed like a solid machine. The guy was firm on price and I’m not willing to pay almost 12k for a machine with almost 5000 hours.

Fivepoints

Branched out member
For reference, we sold our 935 gas version eith 3800 hours for $4500. We did give another tree service local to us a good deal on it. The owner is a good climber and helps us out sometimes when we need more help for a large crane job or the like. The fuel pump was dying but other than that there were no issues with it.

evo

Been here a while
It amazes me the prices yall consider expensive or cheap. Around here you can't get anything that isn't a ex rental 6" 18 hp with thousands of hours for under 5-6K
This is actually great availability and honestly the 3K morbark is likely the best bang for the buck

oceans

Been here a while
That BC935 is the exact machine my bro and I started with. It has been in our family for 14 years without missing a beat.

It was a few years back that I modified it, heavily, to mount it on a trailer along woth a dump body to make a self contained chipping unit. It’s awesome for that, and just in general. This is what it looks like now…

E9534B9C-1140-4E1F-AE11-1FA93E5959B6.jpeg

oldoakman

Been here a while
From time to time on either govdeals.com or search tempest.com i have run across tremendous deals on 935's. The best was one owned by a family that ran an RV park nead Jacksonville. It had around 250 hours, was kept under cover and sold for $8,000.

oceans

Been here a while
From time to time on either govdeals.com or search tempest.com i have run across tremendous deals on 935's. The best was one owned by a family that ran an RV park nead Jacksonville. It had around 250 hours, was kept under cover and sold for $8,000.
That’s a great deal for that machine. We got ours for $3,000 but it needed a complete overhaui…bearings, knives, anvil, belts, fluids, filters, etc. It was still a very good purchase, and we learned all about the machine through the process. I have a joke that can be applied to many things, and it is: I have a frying pan more complicated than that (chipper).

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo BayLeafDigital
Top Bottom