Vermeer 600XL chipper belt tightening ideas

Bigduckman

This spring I had 2 acres of bush cut down in order to clear an area to build a house. The trees were separated into a log pile and a very large and long pile of brush and branches.

The cost to have them chipped was almost as much as I paid to buy a used 2009 Vermeer 600 XL chipper. So I bought the chipper so I could use it for this job and for years to come.

My question concerns the drive belt for the chipping disc. The belt that came with it started to slip to the point that it would not chip properly after several days of use.

I read the manual and moved the adjusting nuts to the tightest point. The belt was still not tight enough to get the disc RPM's high enough to chip without bogging down. I had to keep stopping the feed and wait for the disc RPM's to catch back up.

I was told the belt had stretched to the point it had to be replaced. I bought a new one and installed it.

I just finished chipping the pile of branches but again the belt was slipping so badly after several days of use that it would not chip a branch that was only half an inch thick.

I made due by jamming a 2" ash branch on top of the drive belt above the tensioner pulley and hooking it on the inside flange at the back of the belt housing. This tightened the middle area of the belt so that it was not flapping up and down.

I know the safety people are having heart attacks about now but you gotta do what ya gotta do.

I then let the remaining 6' of branch hang out over the trailer hitch. It remained here for sometimes 20 - 30 minutes of chipping before having to be reinstalled

This tightened the belt enough that the cutting disc RPM's increased substantially allowing it to chip my branches.

I am curious if anyone has come up with a permanent fix such as having added another tensioner to the belt so it can be tightened more or do you keep replacing the belt with a new "tight" one.

Any thoughts and or solutions would be appreciated.

southsoundtree

What did the Vermeer dealer say?
Confirm you have the correct belly. If the old one was wrong, and you used the part number from that belt, you might have an easy fix.

Original engine? I changed simpler engines and needed a A63, instead of an A64. Napa told me those drive belts came in one inch increments. Voila!

Bigduckman

What did the Vermeer dealer say?
Confirm you have the correct belly. If the old one was wrong, and you used the part number from that belt, you might have an easy fix.

Original engine? I changed simpler engines and needed a A63, instead of an A64. Napa told me those drive belts came in one inch increments. Voila!

Thanks for the reply. I bought the belt from the semi local Vermeer dealer. The part number came from their computer listing for the chipper. It was the same part number that was on the belt that came with the chipper.

I did not realize that there were belts that were so close in size to each other.

I will follow up with them on Monday

Thanks

craneguy1

It is not uncommon to have to re-tighten a new belt after running it for a while...bandit recomends re-adjusting after like 4 hours

treebilly

Dull blades and incorrect/dull anvil will cause this as well. Does that machine have a tensioning pulley or do you have to move the engine? Just wondering. Belt adjustment shouldn't be something that is done weekly as far as I know. Blades and cutter bar maybe but not belt tension

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom