variegated or not?

ATH

saw this Japanese maple today.

At first I thought it was one trunk that is green and one variegated....but it not only switches within the same twig...but there are a few half and half leaves.

What's up with this?

20200601_160154.jpg

20200601_160234.jpg

CanadianStan

So many possibilities. Spray application drift, or genetic mutation within certain leaves, verticillium wilt (?!), micronutrient imbalances ....

I am interested to see what more knowledgeable people have to say. Japanese maples are sweet trees.

Bonus points for other people: Lion's Mane, or Shishigashira, Jap Maples are wicked little cultivars that look kind of sickly but rad.

Reactions: ATH

ATH

I had thought about herbicide damage but I don't think the pattern fits that.

There is a little bark damage at the bottom that looks like it could be caused by verticelium. I've never seen that disease cause damage like this. But won't dispute that as a possibility!

Micronutrient imbalance makes the most sense to me logically. But the odd distribution of coloration still has me wondering why. I don't think he cares enough to spend the money to do some tests to figure that out. Was on the property for another project and that one caught my eye...

The client said he thinks he remembers the tree being a variegated variety. If that is the case the green leaves are actually the abnormality... I have worked on the property in the past but not this specific tree. I do not remember it being variegated. Not saying for sure that it was not just that I don't ever remember seeing it that way.

ATH

Is it possible that the tree is grafted and the original plant has popped up a shoot that's now competing with the grafted scion?
That was my first thought when I looked at it. Most of the variegated leaves are on one half of a y and most of the green leaves are on the other half of the y. That seemed like a simple answer. However when I looked closer there are some twigs that are mixed. So I'm not sure that is the case. I don't assume they can share genetics back and forth between the two halves of the y right?

ATH

I was going to say viral too and have heard the same about origins if variegated species.

Take some cuttings!
take them where? to try to root them or for lab identification? I don't think OSU does viral samples - know any lab that does?

Waldo

It's variegated. some of the Japanese Maple variegated cultivars start to revert over time.

We see that a ton out here in the PNW, with so many stupid J. Maple cultivars. Its like the tree decides it is fed up with not photosynthesizing enough.

evo

It's variegated. some of the Japanese Maple variegated cultivars start to revert over time.

We see that a ton out here in the PNW, with so many stupid J. Maple cultivars. Its like the tree decides it is fed up with not photosynthesizing enough.
Agreed. They revert at the drop of a hat. Once it starts reverting it’s nearly impossible to control. I’d just start pruning out the variegated sections

Reactions: ATH
Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom