Using Maillon Rapide Quick Links

WaitakKauri

Nice to get some data on this sort of stuff... stuff that's basic, but forgotten/ignored/unseen, and yet fundamental.

At a TCC I was in in May, I was the only one I saw using a maillon (there was method to this madness) on a base anchor. I said to the judges I was using the wrench to get the correct torque.

Now I'm going to go self check with my torque wrench. :whistle:

Lol. I am experienced wrenching at 4-6Nm on a regular basis so I have an idea. I just never checked to help remove subjectivity. A simple thing to do that's worth the effort to test once in a while.

Love your work (kiwi slang for well done)

Richard Mumford-yoyoman

Nice to get some data on this sort of stuff... stuff that's basic, but forgotten/ignored/unseen, and yet fundamental.

At a TCC I was in in May, I was the only one I saw using a maillon (there was method to this madness) on a base anchor. I said to the judges I was using the wrench to get the correct torque.

Now I'm going to go self check with my torque wrench. :whistle:

Lol. I am experienced wrenching at 4-6Nm on a regular basis so I have an idea. I just never checked to help remove subjectivity. A simple thing to do that's worth the effort to test once in a while.

Love your work (kiwi slang for well done)
Thanks, well I had to figure out what a Nm was first.

D x D

Richard,

I wasn't surprised with your general premise that we don't get them tight enough without wrenches thus they will not be performing up to the spec or what they are capable of holding. Makes sense.

What I don't understand is how important it is getting them to spec. If I am using them as a base or canopy anchor component (which I use them for...they are great and something I learned from you) the load capability of hand tight is likely strong enough no? I would be willing to bet that hand tighten would be one of the strongest links/components in the life support system.

I have never had one loosen up fwiw either.

Richard Mumford-yoyoman

Never had one loosen either, I did have to use the wrench to loosen one though, maybe I just got weaker at the end of my climb.
I think an easy way to get an idea of what is required, as demoed in the video, put weights on a 12" stick. (stick pounds of force ;))

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom