Use of the Chicane without the ZigZag...

austinveatch84

Hey there!!!! Loooong time reader, first time posting. Does anyone have any experience using the Chicane with a HitchClimber? Essentially just using it as a rope wrench? I have a hank of KMIII which is a little thin for the zigzag but would still like to get use out of it. Just curious if anyone has a story to tell or an opinion on how it went. And if it ends up being a bad idea, I would gladly trade 150ft of brand new KMIII for a hank of new Xstatic if anyone wants. I’m local to the Twin Cities, Minnesota. Thanks for any input you can share!

climbstihl

Works great! Not CE approved, which is important for me sometimes, but probably not for you. It's noticeable that there is less friction than with a ropewrench, the only time that matters is on a limbwalk, and there is still more friction than in a MRS setup, so the hitch behaves better. All in all, I love it, but the wrench is still my go to for hitches. One more thing, it doesn't work as well with a ISC phlotich, the carabiner moves around in the large hole too much, a hitch climber is better.

austinveatch84

Works great! Not CE approved, which is important for me sometimes, but probably not for you. It's noticeable that there is less friction than with a ropewrench, the only time that matters is on a limbwalk, and there is still more friction than in a MRS setup, so the hitch behaves better. All in all, I love it, but the wrench is still my go to for hitches. One more thing, it doesn't work as well with a ISC phlotich, the carabiner moves around in the large hole too much, a hitch climber is better.
That makes sense. Maybe even some electrical tape or shrink wrap to keep it stiff on the hitch climber. I’ll play around!! Thanks for the response.

theatertech87

These look great! But they seem like they are specific to rope/carabiner junctions. Seems like a carabiner/hitchclimber wouldn’t work.
Nope I use them anytime I connect the carabiner to something that I don't want to move around it works great on your akimbo it works great on the rope runner it works great on the hitch climber and anything else you could possibly imagine

inztrees

I don't understand it. They say you can't use the wrench with the zigzag. Use a chicane. Now people want to use a chacine with a hitch and hitch climber.

austinveatch84

I don't understand it. They say you can't use the wrench with the zigzag. Use a chicane. Now people want to use a chacine with a hitch and hitch climber.
Thanks so much for the input and the time you spent typing it!! I’ll use it when making decisions in the future. But just to be clear, I don’t ‘want’ to use the chicane with a hitch. I use it with a Zig Zag exclusively. I do, however, have a hank of KMIII Max which is too thin to use with the Zig Zag at my weight (225 w/ gear). So out of curiosity, I was wondering if anyone had some valuable input or experience with that combo. Mostly curious about anyone having issues with the chicane interfering with the top of the hitch, causing sliding. Do you have any experience you would like to share? Looks like you’ve been sharing on this forum for a long time and probably have a lot to offer. 2006!! I remember tree work in 2006. Simpler times back then, huh? I was still using a Blake’s hitch.

Jehinten

Not to get too far off topic but in speaking with a petzl rep I asked him about the wrench and zigzag combo.
He said that since they cannot control the quality control of the wrench that they cannot endorse it.
I can kind of see where Petzl is coming from, I also see it as a non issue (pretty sure more zigzags have broken than wrenches) :ROFLMAO: and lastly I see it as petzl trying to keep more sales in house instead of recommending or acknowledging another manufacturer's equipment.

inztrees

I don't have any experience with the chacine and a hitch because I went from a wrench and hitch to wrench and zigzag and was told we are not doing that so I went to akmbo then rope runner and now I just got a chacine to go with my zigzag and here we are

Last edited:

Jonny

I don’t know if it works with a hitch, but it’d piss me off to see it.
I try to give credit ( and my hard earned gear allowance) where it’s due, and all credit for the Chicane belongs to the guy who invented the Rope Wrench. He’s also a working climber, arborist, and tree service owner. Kevin did all the leg work and the hard part of the development, and probably took some financial risk investing to bring it to market. It changed how people climbed trees. At the moment I can’t think of a bigger game changer for the industry in the last few decades. Just seems like he got fucked over there.
My opinion I guess. Petzl makes some very fine gear, and the Zigzag is genius too. Personally I’m not boycotting the company, but I’m never buying a Chicane. Ethically, that was a shitty move on their part.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom