Urban use of knuckleboom/grapplesaw

oceans

Been here a while
Do you have any videos working with your hoeflon C10. It would be great to see what that thing is made of. Very cool peice of equipment
Thread coming soon. Everyone’s been so patient with me here. I have all the text written out already to copy and paste into the Buzz. I just had trouble with the photo side. I will get it out ASAP!

Reach

Been here a while
Learning a lot from @Steve Connally here in Virginia. Yesterday while I climbed I learned what heat really is and how spoiled we are with our low humidity in the PNW.

It is mind blowing how efficient and effective these machines are on the right trees.
This week, you’ll learn all about heat for sure! Ask @Colin1234567 about that, he climbed with us all day yesterday.

RyanCafferky

Branched out member
This week, you’ll learn all about heat for sure! Ask @Colin1234567 about that, he climbed with us all day yesterday.
I only worked for the afternoon. I just set and cut a few crane picks and then rigged down one oak Steve couldn't reach. My heart felt like it was going to come out of my chest at a few points. But then I'm just a spoiled contract climber from the PNW.

Reach

Been here a while
I only worked for the afternoon. I just set and cut a few crane picks and then rigged down one oak Steve couldn't reach. My heart felt like it was going to come out of my chest at a few points. But then I'm just a spoiled contract climber from the PNW.
The afternoon was the worst part yesterday, for sure. I was on the ground all day, directing and chasing rigging, and I was pretty well cooked. Colin kept right on though, I’ll give him a lot of credit for that!

Gus_B

In the time I've been doing this there are two predominant schools of thought when it comes to Urban tree work and what type of package should be used.

1) Keep the truck as small/short and maneuverable as possible with the largest crane you can put on a 33,000GVW truck chassis. Typically vertical reach on this type of package is approximately 75' on a standard knuckleboom setup. This truck would be strictly a mule for the crane and you would basically have no legal payload. In this scenario since there is no legal payload allowable it only makes sense to mount the crane end of frame as a dump body would be pointless.

2) Go for a bigger crane (60 TM or larger) with approximately 105'++ (depending on how deep your pockets are) of vertical reach. Again you need to decide if the truck will be just a mule for the crane or if you actually want to haul wood out with you on the truck. If you want to haul wood out and be able to dump it you will need to mount the crane back of cab to allow for the dump body. Once you do this you will need front bumper outriggers for required stability (extra$$$ and weight) and the correct setup IMO is using a twin steer chassis. If you use a twin steer chassis you will need at a bare minimum a 13L engine (again more $$$ and weight) If all you need is a mule you can get away with a smaller tandem chassis with the crane mounted in the correct position somewhere in the end of frame region.

Below are 3 trucks that I personally built starting from the smallest to the largest setup.

1628909779135.png
1628910468357.png
1628910985754.png

Videos of 2 of the cranes we built.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm not saying these setups are for everyone but it seems to be what is predominant in the southern Ontario Canada region and Toronto is a very congested city.

I hope this helps and good luck with your search for the right package for your firm. As a side note do yourself a favor and try to buy the package as locally to you as possible from a reputable dealer. Regardless of crane make or model they all eventually have a breakdown and there is something to be said about having the ability to drive to your service dealer and stand in their office doorway if you're not getting answers regarding the repair. ;)

Last edited:

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo BayLeafDigital
Top Bottom