Urban use of knuckleboom/grapplesaw

RyanCafferky

Branched out member
I am doing research to see if a crane is a good fit for our market in the Portland area. Lots of tight locations and lots of wires. Does anyone know of a company working in tight areas a lot? I am willing to fly to go see operations in different areas to do my homework before pulling the trigger. If your company has a crane and need a good climber to help out for a working vacation hit me up.

Reach

Been here a while
We often work some pretty tight locations, and deal with wires, and cranes do most of it rather well. We don’t own a crane, but we rent a day or two a week most weeks. A short wheelbase on a fairly heavy crane works well, my favorite crane for tight areas around here is the Terex T340XL.

Attachments

• 71E45336-BE27-4074-91BC-13CC0F748404.jpeg
    71E45336-BE27-4074-91BC-13CC0F748404.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 33
  • CC96622F-458D-4F8A-8917-4B6E6D49F7B2.jpeg
    CC96622F-458D-4F8A-8917-4B6E6D49F7B2.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 34
  • DEC10118-8282-4E34-9203-AB67473A303D.jpeg
    DEC10118-8282-4E34-9203-AB67473A303D.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 35

Stumpsprouts

Branched out member
I forwarded this to a colleague who might have some insight. He has a 70’ Copma knuckle boom that I’ve flown on quite a bit and is a fantastic rig for urban spaces. It can fit where some chip trucks couldn’t even go.

Attachments

• FDDE9D38-8A74-4F88-9259-4D10D628EF07.jpeg
    FDDE9D38-8A74-4F88-9259-4D10D628EF07.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 46
  • 9B593BC1-7C2F-44D1-99FF-AA25F55EDD28.jpeg
    9B593BC1-7C2F-44D1-99FF-AA25F55EDD28.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 46

VenasNursery

Carpal tunnel level member
We often work some pretty tight locations, and deal with wires, and cranes do most of it rather well. We don’t own a crane, but we rent a day or two a week most weeks. A short wheelbase on a fairly heavy crane works well, my favorite crane for tight areas around here is the Terex T340XL.
How’s that new lift treating you ?

VenasNursery

I forwarded this to a colleague who might have some insight. He has a 70’ Copma knuckle boom that I’ve flown on quite a bit and is a fantastic rig for urban spaces. It can fit where some chip trucks couldn’t even go.
I really like that setup short wheelbase single axlle 70’-85’
I don’t know my options but in November I will find out

Crimsonking

I am doing research to see if a crane is a good fit for our market in the Portland area. Lots of tight locations and lots of wires. Does anyone know of a company working in tight areas a lot? I am willing to fly to go see operations in different areas to do my homework before pulling the trigger. If your company has a crane and need a good climber to help out for a working vacation hit me up.
You deal with much taller trees than we do on the east coast, right? How does that play into the frame work you currently do? The mainstream k-booms don’t get quite as long as a lot of stick cranes.

RyanCafferky

Branched out member
You deal with much taller trees than we do on the east coast, right? How does that play into the frame work you currently do? The mainstream k-booms don’t get quite as long as a lot of stick cranes.

We do have tall trees. In the Portland area we have trees of up to 200’. But in my experience, it is rare for a ridiculously tall tree to have to be a crane tree. Tall trees often have good climbing and or rigging points and room to do that climbing and rigging. Or if it is a crane tree, we have some good crane companies in town with monster stick boom cranes. What we do have is an incredibly diverse canopy of trees of all shapes and sizes in a wide range of landscape settings. And like most areas in the country, we have a labor shortage in our industry. Anything that can eliminate more people from the jobsite will likely get utilitized, especially if the price point is something that people can stomach.

I just want to see these things in action and understand them from multiple angles to see if it is a direction I want to go in. As an aging contract climber I have to start thinking about what is next. Can I be the rock star kicking ass on every job day after day? Maybe? Until when? Then what?

I am booking a flight to Virginia to go hang with Steve and see his operation. Looking foward to seeing a new part of the country and seeing our industry from a new perspective. Standing on a different coast will probably do me good.

VenasNursery

It’s been wonderful! Couple little hiccups, but nothing of note. Our dealer on the other hand, let’s just say we may be looking for a new one before this one gets a dollar from us. They seem great, but they can’t seem to follow through on anything!
Good luck on finding a good service center
Don’t know if you are aware of calling All Accesss their techs on the phone have been great to work with
Or David Webb from Well Built Equipment is very helpful and knowledgeable also great guy to deal with

Reach

Been here a while
Good luck on finding a good service center
Don’t know if you are aware of calling All Accesss their techs on the phone have been great to work with
Or David Webb from Well Built Equipment is very helpful and knowledgeable also great guy to deal with
I haven’t called All Access yet, but I may do that. A good phone tech is a great thing. I’ll look up Well Built as well.

We have a company just 40 minutes away with a great reputation, it just seems the only guy there who deals with CMC lifts there can’t follow through on anything he says he will. It’s quite frustrating.

Reach

Been here a while
We do have tall trees. In the Portland area we have trees of up to 200’. But in my experience, it is rare for a ridiculously tall tree to have to be a crane tree. Tall trees often have good climbing and or rigging points and room to do that climbing and rigging. Or if it is a crane tree, we have some good crane companies in town with monster stick boom cranes. What we do have is an incredibly diverse canopy of trees of all shapes and sizes in a wide range of landscape settings. And like most areas in the country, we have a labor shortage in our industry. Anything that can eliminate more people from the jobsite will likely get utilitized, especially if the price point is something that people can stomach.

I just want to see these things in action and understand them from multiple angles to see if it is a direction I want to go in. As an aging contract climber I have to start thinking about what is next. Can I be the rock star kicking ass on every job day after day? Maybe? Until when? Then what?

I am booking a flight to Virginia to go hang with Steve and see his operation. Looking foward to seeing a new part of the country and seeing our industry from a new perspective. Standing on a different coast will probably do me good.
If you happen to end up north a bit when you’re visiting Steve, stop in at the Gap Arborist Supply, those guys are great to meet in person. And let me know if you do, I’ll buy you lunch/dinner; I like meeting people in real life.

Crimsonking

While you’re on this side, you should drop by Greensboro, NC. There’s a 3 man team (soon to be 4) that run a k-boom, log truck with palfinger arm and grapple saw head, grapple chipper, and an assortment of skidsteers. I love contracting with them because the work is technical, fun, and somewhat easier.

If you want, I’m sure they’d love to have you on for a day to see how they operate. Dillon Tree Service is the company. I’ll try to get booked the same day :)

oceans

Been here a while
Do you have a CDL?

islandarb

De' Island Buzzer
Check this guy out. I don’t know if he’s on TB or not. In the past someplace I have seen some pretty radical videos with the knuckle boom‘s that he has.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike and David Driver are both at top level Palfinger/Effer kings. So is Stephen Connally and Nich Maidment. I have contacts for all. PM me Ryan I can hook you up for a working tutorial. They would all love to have you.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo BayLeafDigital
Top Bottom