Unsure about this pine in MN

Lupin_IV

Bark looks like a red pine but it grows nothing like one. Short and super thick, maybe 45 feet tall but branches are very long. 25"? Dbh. Photos aren't great, I didnt think to ask here when I was taking them. Austria pine?

Attachments

• 20210127_144645.jpg
    20210127_144645.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 61
  • 20210127_144653.jpg
    20210127_144653.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 60
Last edited:

TCtreeswinger

I'd call it a red or "norway" (our state tree) pinus resinosa. I believe the field test is one needle breaks and the other bends. Austrians usually have codominents but this looks heavily afflicted by diplodia and or sawfly which are disposers of both but certainly Austrians which don't usually survive to be this big. Better pics would help?

Lupin_IV

Interesting, youd say that even with the diameter and length of the branches? I'm used to them being so tall, thin and scraggly.

Dont have ready access to the tree unfortunately, or I'd just go snap more photos

TCtreeswinger

Google pics of "The Lost Forty" or imagine any of state/fed forests that you may have visited. In a plantation they are certainly pecker poles

Reach

To me, that tree looks very much like our Loblolly Pine. Not sure if they grow in MN, but look them up, that could be what you have. One of their characteristics is their scruffy look.

Lupin_IV

Not naturalized and not common here but I think I've seen a few around now that I've been looking. Ill have to try to find some cones. Dont think I'll be going back to this one soon unfortunately. Cool tree. Thanks all.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom