Unimog with Chipper

BostonBull

I have seen photos of them setup like that from overseas. I would love to see one in person. Looks like a nice setup!

banjo

They're cool. They're PTO driven. My friends and I were talking about how cool it would be to use one in a zombie movie. They could just drive it fast into a crowd of zombies and chip like ten at a time.

Blinky

[ QUOTE ]
They could just drive it fast into a crowd of zombies and chip like ten at a time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who needs zombies, we have teabaggers.

Jamin_Mayer

When I do work in Boulder the parking situation is nuts. It's a college town and you'd think every rich kid attending has two cars of their own.
The streets are tight and every one seems to be on edge when you start cutting a tree...

I'd imagine a front bumper mount would be crappy to drive because of visibility. I think the rear mount with side dump would be cool to have.

I've often thought it would be nice to have a compact truck just for tight work areas.

southsoundtree

Doesn't look that practical. Think about all the leverage on the machines over time. Visibility would be horrible. Re-learning to drive for that situation looks like it would be much harder than trailering, or just having that whole thing on the rear end and watch the swing out around turns.

Its interesting for sure, though.

Lumberjack

If I had the option, I'd want the swinging bit to be up front where I could see it vs hiding behind the chip box in the back.

I had thought about powering a regular chipper with an aux transmission(Essentially a PTO rated to take full engine power) with the truck's engine. That would save some money and offer a decent power source. Thre are design considerations, but still a nifty idea, if they made aux transmissions for my ZF6.

There are other ways to do it, haven't fully persued that line of thinking however.

they are used here in the netherlands for working on the side off the road. The signals on the back and in front a big PTO driven chipper and a hydraulik pick up unit to simple unload the container with chips.

Its a giant investment and not so easy in the urban area or on the drive....it's not so big over here ;-)

easyphloem

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
They could just drive it fast into a crowd of zombies and chip like ten at a time.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

All I'm saying is I've never seen a birth certificate for Obama saying he is not a foreigner.

SZ

banjo

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

All I'm saying is I've never seen a birth certificate for Obama saying he is not a foreigner.

SZ

[/ QUOTE ]

You are a communist.

Rupe

The chipper in that picture is exceptionally long! You can get much sjorter ones that don't stick out so far, but they are still awkward to drive.

Rear mounted ones are easier to drive for sure.

You can also get cranes mounted on them and then have trailers with chippers on the back of the trailers driven by a long PTO that rund right under the trailer.

Lots of combinations available. Some guys have them over here but they are expensive to run and maintain, its best that the owner is a good mechanic and has a big tool set!!

This one has a hiab on the trailer and chipper on the front.

banjo

[ QUOTE ]
from unimogs to anti obama communists. lol!

[/ QUOTE ]

you forgot about the zombies.

Babberney

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't seen yours, either . . .

SZ

[/ QUOTE ]