Triple Braid?

dspacio

I checked with a local boat rope shop to see if I can do some splicing work with them. He gave me a rope to try out, I believe it is Levante Rope from Czech Republic. Has a dyneema core.

I started following Samson's Class II instructions, then a couple steps in, realized this rope is Triple Braid? It has a blue cover, then a thick braided layer that feels soft like cotton, with a thin braid inside, that feels like the dyneema.

Have any of you seen a Triple Braid rope? Searches online so far have found nothing.

I was partway through, so I chose to continue. I cut the middle layer out (at typical Mark 3 on the core) and completed the splice using just the inner core. It feels like it came out strong, but the eye is all baggy, as it's missing that bulk layer. Maybe I can modify my approach to have the middle layer extend just to cover Mark 1 (filling the eye). There was no way I was fitting a fid inside the two inner braids. the soft middle layer did not open up at all, like a typical core would.

Never heard of triple braid, but sure enough, there it is...

Jonny

Dissect a few inches and post pics if possible. Wonder if the layer is something to help keep dirt away from the dyneema core.

SeanRuel

Tachyon has three layers iirc. The center one is just a bulking thing to help the rope stay round in that case. Did he tell you the rope Make/ model?

Maybe a case of new guy hazing? Is your blinker fluid topped up??

Simpleiowaguy

Im with SeanRuel on this one. Sounds like some sort of tachyon braid. Strands that are put at the inner most part to help prevent flattening. I always just remove it out of the way of my splice. Never had an issue.

Brocky

There are several ropes in the 8-9mm range that have a polypropylene core inner core, to save weight and for water resistance. These, the inner core is pulled at the end of the bury and then reinserted for the length of the reduced and tapered buried tail end.
A cord from Gleistein had a polypropylene mesh,or netlike covering around the dyneema core, that I treated like the inner core type.

And then there’s Yale’s RING, ended up using a class I double braid splice on the two cores, the cover is thin and probably doesn’t help much with the strength.

Brocky

Looked up the rope, it appears to be D-Racer, not the Lenante. It is the only one that describes two cores. If it is, your splice removed the stronger material, the inner cover is polyester.

dspacio

Thanks everyone. I will swing by his shop today again and chat some more about it. Show him the baggy splice.
It is possible the inside one was just a bulking polyester.
Thanks for looking it up Brocky, I think he had D-Racer in there too. I will get more info.

Brocky

D-Racer was the only one I saw that had a staple, the inner cover, which is polyester on this rope. Cutting and melting testing would tell a lot.

dspacio

I returned to the shop, turns out he gave me a rope different from intended, so that extra braid was indeed a curveball. Sounds like the better route would have been to treat it as a double cover, rather than a double core.. he isn't selling that exact rope anymore so set it aside and gave me a few more to try. These ones are awesome!!

They are all Lanex Rope from Czech Republic. called Malteni 10mm, and Ocean 12mm?. For sheets and halyards (fancy boat terms) .

The cover braid is tight. I had a new problem arise where during final bury, the core bunched up so much in the final half inch that I may need to abandon that splice. I may have just not given that final good pull on the tail before going for it. Was some fun splicing though. My 2nd go went great, on "Ocean" (not the one we are used to), and I've got the next try started for the "Malteni".
Will post some photos after the next session.

Thanks for all the input!

Dan Cobb

I know almost nothing about splicing, but here's a trivia tidbit. A sheet is a line used to control a sail. In the old sailing days, sometimes the crew would all get drunk (on rum, I presume, or maybe IPA) and no one would be sailing the ship. On a 3-masted vessel, the control lines would be untended and just blowing in the wind. Thus the expression, "3 sheets to the wind" for being too drunk to do anything.

dspacio

I wanted to share a big common thanks to the whole Splicing forum too.. one of these eyes had come out baggy, and a quick search here came up with all the finer details about how to work that out. following the straight instructions from the book is great, yet the finer discussion helps work out the kinks. Thanks!

dspacio

Recent splices. not the notorious triple Braid. they came out pretty great, i think. and it was nice rope to work with.
Lanex, Ocean and Malteni.
with eyes fit for shackles for hauling up the sail.

next assignment is indeed a triple braid, but the cover never goes back into the core. it laps on the side, as in Sampson Class II splice.

heard it was a bear. cover is tight and small. he warnedme to be in a good head space before starting so i dont lose it!

Attachments

• 20210414_091745.jpg
    20210414_091745.jpg
    831.3 KB · Views: 8

Brocky

Looks good! Here’s Gleisteins Mega Twin 07, with a polypropylene inner cover. I found just taping the inner cover wasn’t enough, it would bunch up under hand milking. Like an inner core which I extract at the end of the core bury, I rebury, tapering, in the core reduction area.
Not my best, but was trying to bury the sections of hd rubber band in the splice, bought more to hopefully redeem myself. Eliminating the inner core left room for a cover bury.
21D4B22F-6E25-4020-867B-B3FA5D3492FB.jpeg

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom