Trees of New Jersey

OldTimBombadil

Hello All!

I have recently been trying to improve my tree ID'ing skills in the local woods of my area (Monmouth County, New Jersey: close to Middletown, Holmdel, Red Bank etc.). Would anyone be able to tell me whether Cottonwood and Basswood trees grow around here? I cannot seem to find a definitive answer to this question in my web searches ...

Thanks so much!

Tim

CanadianStan

Hello All!

I have recently been trying to improve my tree ID'ing skills in the local woods of my area (Monmouth County, New Jersey: close to Middletown, Holmdel, Red Bank etc.). Would anyone be able to tell me whether Cottonwood and Basswood trees grow around here? I cannot seem to find a definitive answer to this question in my web searches ...

Thanks so much!

Tim
post pictures ... we’ll let you know bark, leaf / twig close ups, and canopy overview

ATH

cottonwood grows about everywhere...but looking at a range map, apparently not naturally on much of the east coast.

looks like basswood is on the fringe there:

OldTimBombadil

cottonwood grows about everywhere...but looking at a range map, apparently not naturally on much of the east coast.

looks like basswood is on the fringe there:
Thanks so much for this info! Looking at the map you've provided, the shaded area seems perhaps JUST to be reaching my area. Perhaps I'll find some!