Tree work is not for everyone… The importance of listening to your minds voice

dspacio

Participating member
you mention listening to the mind's voice @Lupin_IV , and maybe it's a voice from beyond the mind.
every now and then I get a "hint" that it's a day I need to be extra careful. I don't even know what the day's job is usually, it's just a hint on the way in.
This happened about six weeks ago, and I counted 5 solid "close call" moments, none of a deadly nature but more that may have broken my nose or something. I was fending things off like Bruce Lee. After all, we removed 10 pines and a maple, stuff flying all day but I got out completely unharmed, because I turned my perception up even higher than normal, based on an intuition.

Of course we should "always" be that aware, but sometimes, turn it up, "it goes to Eleven".

Thanks for sharing the thoughts Lupin. I just had a job where I was "dreading" this one fall for about 3 days ahead. A codominant Maple with one stem I knew was rotten. In my head I remembered it being way bigger than it was when I arrived. Had to make the cut about 9 feet off the ground, bucked in. It was one of those times that one can only make it so safe, ultimately, and rely on every moment of skill and perception picked up over my entire life.
I have become a lot more faithful doing treework. I ask for protection and vigilance, and keep my thoughts open to little ideas, like what size to make the face cut, etc. In this case I cut the cheek that faced me, and it activated. The maple indeed began peeling toward me and was stopped by that cheek. The rotten wood began giving way while the hinge was ~50% of the width!
These choices come from some know-how and experience, yet in these crucial moments, I also reveal myself as a life-form that is loved on earth and has a path to another day of doing it again. It's a mystical sensibility, it's how I follow this path anyway.

moss

Been here a while
you mention listening to the mind's voice @Lupin_IV , and maybe it's a voice from beyond the mind.
every now and then I get a "hint" that it's a day I need to be extra careful. I don't even know what the day's job is usually, it's just a hint on the way in.
This happened about six weeks ago, and I counted 5 solid "close call" moments, none of a deadly nature but more that may have broken my nose or something. I was fending things off like Bruce Lee. After all, we removed 10 pines and a maple, stuff flying all day but I got out completely unharmed, because I turned my perception up even higher than normal, based on an intuition.

Of course we should "always" be that aware, but sometimes, turn it up, "it goes to Eleven".

Thanks for sharing the thoughts Lupin. I just had a job where I was "dreading" this one fall for about 3 days ahead. A codominant Maple with one stem I knew was rotten. In my head I remembered it being way bigger than it was when I arrived. Had to make the cut about 9 feet off the ground, bucked in. It was one of those times that one can only make it so safe, ultimately, and rely on every moment of skill and perception picked up over my entire life.
I have become a lot more faithful doing treework. I ask for protection and vigilance, and keep my thoughts open to little ideas, like what size to make the face cut, etc. In this case I cut the cheek that faced me, and it activated. The maple indeed began peeling toward me and was stopped by that cheek. The rotten wood began giving way while the hinge was ~50% of the width!
These choices come from some know-how and experience, yet in these crucial moments, I also reveal myself as a life-form that is loved on earth and has a path to another day of doing it again. It's a mystical sensibility, it's how I follow this path anyway.

Delicate balance between faith, intuition, facts and unknown facts. I was doing ground work yesterday bucking a hung tree I'd felled. It was a tough situation: wet/mud, brush tangles, poor visibility (fogged/dirty face shield), humidity, bugs, poison ivy, the usual stuff. A red-tailed hawk stopped me by gliding 15' or so over my head screaming loudly. I stopped for a moment to consider, this seems like an obvious warning. I took a break and then continued with renewed focus. I thought about all the work I've done with red-tailed hawks putting young back in nests etc. Is this some weird common knowledge in the raptor tribe? This red-tailed "knows" in some way and is backing me up? Later as I wrapped the job I reconsidered, the hawk's flight path was a direct line to a neighbor's chicken coop ;-) Mysteries abound, there are answers to some, others, no.
-AJ

Last edited:

moss

Been here a while
In the long run this is how I look at it, yeah I know the red-tailed hawk was hungry for chickens, everyday on this job site I can hear its fledglings begging for a meal. The mother hawk (she is huge, that's a female) woke me up by flying right overhead and screaming. She has her own agenda, nevertheless I'll accept her assistance. Every cue that helps us stay safe, whether its a smart groundworker saying "Yeah dude take it a little smaller, (or bigger)" or a hawk stopping you in your tracks is valuable.
-AJ

Last edited:
I've only read a few replies, but circled back to respond regardless of what has already been said. I was trained to work by a ex logger of a father who owned a logging camp in SE alaska in the 60's-70's.. We only worked on a few trees together when I was a kid. Massive void, and I got into tree work as a arborist when my wife was pregnant with our first.. Much like you a wondering soul before hand, but then shit got real fast. I had a wonderful mentor with 30 years of experience take me under his wing, we even lived together for a year. He was a wealth of knowledge and encouraged me to take on my own jobs. He use to say that 'you can be a rock star removal guy and have about 10 years before you start getting surgeries, or you can get good at fine pruning japanese maples and rhodies and work forever'. Ironically he was a bad ass removal guy, but great with a pair of hand snips.
Looking back on it, 2 years of experience aint shit, so don't beat yourself up. It also sounds like you jumped off the deep end without any guidance other than your own which I admire, but still aint shit.
Personally I started a preservation company when everyone said it was impossible, and I've single handedly shifted the narrative of arboriculture in our area. I have a funny skillset and suck at doing large climbing removals, but I can drop a 150' 36" back or side leaning conifer on a road cone, a head leaning alder 45 degrees spinning it 360 as it falls (only to see if I can and not in a critical situation). Get me on spikes and I'm only good to about 50', but good enough to climb high enough to handle top and throw them?!
Two years aint shit in tree work.
Mix that and depending on someone else to sell work for you is a disaster, I've sold plenty of jobs which push my edges that ive had anxiety about, (just lost one yesterday due to them canceling). Learn as much as you can from reputable experienced people, focus on selling work right up to the line of you confidence level, but try not to bite off more than you can chew. I can count on one hand the number of jobs where I felt 'over my head' in the past decade and I run my own show with decent gross sales increasing 20% annually with only about 5% increase in overhead.
There is much more to running your own show than doing the work, think of it as the work is the car, but then you need the fuel to make the car do what you want (and that is the business side of it).
This really has my gears spinning diving pretty deep in the rabbit hole tonight good reads.

TheTreeSpyder

Participating member
Tune, true and test your senses against the math as can.
But still listen to bod, in head or in more Eastern mind stomach, solar-plexus etc. too.
This is risky biz, but less so to those are humble enough to fall back, rather than always blindly charge..
There are those (z)heros that offer their welfare to science by becoming a brownish grease spot because they know it all, or rather used to. This gets Darwin calling on you often, offering to remove their weakness from the gene pool for the overall good; few drops of bleach into this overly shallow end of the community gene pool occasionally and presto, we are upgraded and w/more lessons, but alas, fewer paying members.
Less so, if can be humble in the reign of power entrusted with, and don't need spandex in cap to accommodate swelled head. i'd try to ninja pine tops out bigger, but with deftly minimal stalk force like soft wind if any concept/target, others liked to show off and ride mad bull and test the stalk they were on. Seemed their's fed the topic of conversation more too. Simply not the way.
i was re-re-redoing some stuff and ran into this thread.
To this topic, some 2 decades ago, or more, during the No Fear t-shirt craze for normal earth walkers;
i offered this lil'ruff version:
KNOW FEAR.png

Presently to same concept, but on other topic, am showing 'both sides of a coin' here
(doesn't feel finished, nor sure am done... ) :
Kids-coin-slam-force-wave-transference-1of3.png

This can be about facing fear and following it, just not always out the door!

Last edited:

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo BayLeafDigital
Top Bottom