Tree trunk crack

Hi folks,

Looking for advice on how dangerous/not too dangerous this is (refer to picture). We had epic winds a few days ago and it brought down a huge branch. In the morning I noticed the tree leaning a little and looked for ground changes (there were none) but found this crack on the back of the tree and on one of the tallest branches too.

How problematic is this crack, are we in imminent danger or is this something where the tree can be saved?

Attachments

• 20210611_085301.jpg
    20210611_085301.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 50

ATH

Been here a while
Vertical aren't as bad as horizontal cracks...but you need someone to evaluate that. Not the biggest "we remove trees cheap" ad you can find. I already know their answer! If you have a TRAQ Arborist (Tree Risk Assessment Qualified) in your area start there. Expect to pay for a consultation. You may or may not want/need a written report which should change the price.

Last edited:

moss

Been here a while
It’s called a codominant structure, two “trunks” grown into each other, not actually joined together, it is moving towards total failure, no one can predict when that will happen but a qualified person on the scene can give you the best advice.
-AJ

Reactions: ATH

southsoundtree

Been here a while
If kept near valuables, it needs work to be "safe" enough.

Pruning, bolting/ bracing, cabling.

If you can safely wrap a trucker ratchet strap to bind it until the work is done, you are helping the situation.
Safely!!!

metaspencer

Hi folks,

Looking for advice on how dangerous/not too dangerous this is (refer to picture). We had epic winds a few days ago and it brought down a huge branch. In the morning I noticed the tree leaning a little and looked for ground changes (there were none) but found this crack on the back of the tree and on one of the tallest branches too.

How problematic is this crack, are we in imminent danger or is this something where the tree can be saved?
I always multi-cargo-strap big fissures like that before working in or on the tree, just to try to keep it together. Where there is smoke there is fire, and where there is a big crack there is more change of a break.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo
Top Bottom