Tree sprout with two different leaves

Hi! I was wondering if anybody knew what is happening with a tree sprout I found in the same pot as my maple tree. The leaves seem very different and the round green leaf seems too big to be a seed leaf. I do not have too much experience with trees so I was wondering if anybody could identify them or explain what is happening? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20210502_115922712_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210502_115922712_HDR.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20210502_115740887_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210502_115740887_HDR.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20210502_115747562_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210502_115747562_HDR.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 39

Reach

Been here a while
Hi! I was wondering if anybody knew what is happening with a tree sprout I found in the same pot as my maple tree. The leaves seem very different and the round green leaf seems too big to be a seed leaf. I do not have too much experience with trees so I was wondering if anybody could identify them or explain what is happening? Thanks!
Welcome! Someone here can probably help you, but without seeing the tree in question, it’s hard to identify it. Post a few photos and I’m sure someone can help you out.

Welcome! Someone here can probably help you, but without seeing the tree in question, it’s hard to identify it. Post a few photos and I’m sure someone can help you out.
Oops! I accidentally removed the images, thank you for informing me! :)

Stumpsprouts

Branched out member
I also believe that is an oak species. And although the leaves look different now, it is the same tree. I’m looking through my book and although I don’t know the species well, it most closely resembles Quercus nigra, Water oak. Some short excerpts from Michael Dirr’s description in Manual of Woody Landscape Plants.

“LEAVES- Alternate, simple, exceedingly variable as to size and shape...

The species is a weed tree in Zone 7 to 9 and can be found with Chinaberry in every abandoned location. In our garden, this is the most encountered oak and is a challenge to eliminate. The young juvenile leaves are highly lobed and often evergreen. They look nothing like the species. This condition may persist for 3 to 6 years.”

Not a slam dunk but definitely seems more likely? Hope that helps.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo BayLeafDigital
Top Bottom