Tree service licensing in Minnesota

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Administrator
This note came to me today. If anyone in Minnesota wants to have a seat at the table, this is your chance to be heard.

TREE CARE LICENSING TASK FORCE

The Office of Secretary of State has now listed the open appointments process for this task force. Here is more info...

TREE CARE LICENSING AND REGULATION TASK FORCE
625 ROBERT ST NO.
ST PAUL, MN 55108 651-201-6448
M.S. 15.014 (2004)
Appointing: Commissioner of Agriculture
Compensation: None
Vacancies: Eight (8) - One representative of the Minnesota
Utility (Rights-of-Way) industry;
One representative of the Minnesota
Timber Producers or Minnesota
Forest Industries;
One representative of the Minnesota or International Society of Arboriculture
Nursery and Landscape Association;
Shade Tree Advisory Committee;
One City or Town representative;
One Small Tree Care Company
representative;
One Large Tree Care Company
representative.
The task force must review and make recommendations on at least the following topics and practices: (1) the need for the licensing, education, and training of tree care professionals; and (2) the need for regulating employers offering tree care services or tree care operations, including the establishment of insurance and solvency protection for the public. One member of the Senate and one member of the House of Representatives; the Commissioner of Agriculture or the Commissioner's designee; and 12 public members appointed by the commissioner. The public members must be skilled in the knowledge, science, and practice of tree care. Public members of the task force must serve without compensation or reimbursement of personal expenses.
Meetings will be held on August 1, September 5, October 3, November 7, 2006; and will take place at 625 Robert St. No., St. Paul, MN 55155.

Application forms for this and other Open Appointments may be found
at:

http://www.sos.state.mn.us/docs/oa_application.pdf

Current Vacancies for open appointments may be found at:

http://www.sos.state.mn.us/home/index.asp?page=308

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Administrator
I agree...the intent is to protect the consumer and trees. There is a danger of this process getting up enough energy and not cover the most important issue, enforcement of the licensing regulation. What good are more laws and regulations for those of us who already do the best for consumers and trees? This could become another boondoggle if proper thought isn't incorporated from the beginning. A few years ago the state of Minnesota put licensing for remodelers in place. A good friend of mine kept me abreast of the whole process. This would be a good model for the tree folks to follow.

Enforcement is going to take some spine and money. Does the state have both?

Colin

Administrator
Administrator
[ QUOTE ]

Enforcement is going to take some spine and money. Does the state have both?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's fantastic that it's coming in at state level not local council ... coz there may be dozens of them per state.

There has to be an enforcement office, whether that be another new one or an exisiting one given the task.

Re-offenders also need to be hit higher $'s each time.

There'd be a myriad of different schemes and enforcement models to copy from, they wont be reinventing the wheel here just remodeling it for our industry. Picking the eyes out of the good regs that work.

I think it's great and I was so impressed about it I emailed my local State member of Parliament, Barbara Stone, and provided this thread as a link for reference.

In this day and age it is truly backward not to proceed down this path ... and many places are already well down that path for arborists and better off for it.

Today I got called out to do a pruning quote, the lady wanted 3 trees cut in half, as the crow flies, woosh. I spent almost an hour there but didn't get the job, imagine what the other companies are gonna say and do ... I'll be pretty mad if I drive past and see it done. The trees weren't even that big and target value was negligable (arborphobia).

Lazarus2

Licencing is the correct step, but only if it is properly thought out, not being too exclusive or costly. The AA approved contractor scheme is treated as a licence in the UK by some councils, and stipulated by highways authorities. That is negative, because it is tailored for larger companies, and qualified experienced individuals are excluded. The scheme is also not a measure of practical excellence, but is a great measure of office excellence - right down to arguments about where the fax machine should be (I kid ye not!) /forum/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif Despite UK&I having the second largest chapter (last time I looked)ISA certified arborist doesn't mean anything.

It is on site safety and standards that are the real concern - the best paper systems in the world can only apportion blame. But I suppose its the same as the UK law system - Lots of regulation and litigation, yet poor policing. You almost NEVER see a copper on the beat. Even the cars are all in the same place at the same time, stations are closing and more cameras keep appearing (15 million of em on the streets today - and rising).

Stands for 'do what you want but don't get caught'. Certainly doesn't support just and upright behaviour.

Its good to see small companies represented on the committee Tom. That should help keep things real!

Better get on with that report...........tut!

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom