Tree ID

JennG

This tree randomly appeared on the plot line between my yard and a wooded lot next to me (I'm in central Fl, the lot next to me is full of water oaks and pines, so it was odd seeing this one growing). It also seems to be spreading as others have started growing near it. I've tried searching leaf patterns, smooth bark, etc and my eyes are starting to cross trying to get a direct match. I'm hoping someone will see this and immediately know what it is so I can read about it.
Thank you!

Attachments

• thumbnail (1).jpg
    thumbnail (1).jpg
    387.2 KB · Views: 49
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 47
  • thumbnail (2).jpg
    thumbnail (2).jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 51

colb

I agree with a cherry. Almost looks like black cherry, but the fruit is weird. I bet that bark texture changes with age of the tissue making a match a little more difficult.
I'm in north Florida. I don't think any other cherries with bark like that get down as far as you - at least not commonly - so my vote is also for black cherry. We have occassional ornamental cherries where I'm at.

Reach

I’ll add another vote for Cherry. In this area I would call it a Black Cherry, but I don’t know what grows in your neighborhood.

JennG

Thank you all! I wasn't even remotely on the trail of any type of cherry tree, especially since we have sandy substrate instead of good old dirt, I forget there's variations and some things like the sand lol.
I'm reading about it now and the aforementioned black cherry seems to fit.
I say I'm in central Fl, but I should have clarified that it's more N. Central in the Ocala area.
Again, thank you everyone, you have definitely helped me out!

colb

I'm not convinced it is a cherry, certainly not Black Cherry. The fruit cluster is wrong for Black Cherry.
I had to look it all up. It's a raceme. There's some latitude around that. A healthier tree might put out a longer raceme than a tree in a poorer soil (e.g. Florida soil). I'm not saying I'm right or your not right, and I welcome all input.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo
Top Bottom