Tree-Age vs. Arbor Mectin

jed1124

I started this year off with a half bottle of Tree-Age from last year for EAB. First Ash injection was slowww. I mean all day slow.
I ordered two cases of Arbor Mectin from Rotam. I could not believe how much faster the uptake was.
We'll those two cases are used up so I went and picked up 1 liter of Tree-Age because Arbor Mectin is only sold by the case. Set up at 12:00 and here it is 3:05 and my first tree on the property isn't close to being finished.
75 degrees, plenty of rain, one of the best looking Ash I have injected. This is the last bottle of Tree-Age I'll buy. Arbor Mectin from here on out.
Rant over.

Dbodave

I'm on my 4th case of tree-age so far this year. Uptake has been lightning fast with the steady rain we've had. Technique plays a big part of how well trees will uptake.

Dbodave

Re evaluate your technique, you will improve with more experience.

Rainbow is hurting for trying to copy arborjet and then getting sued. We'll see how it plays out.

Rainbow sent us an ad for a free $1700 iq infuser with purchase of $1000 of xytect. Their overpriced imidacloprid. They are hurting for sure to offer deals like that.

jed1124

What techniques would you recommend? I'm injecting the trees exactly the same way when using one product or the other. I've had trees where I pulled a bottle of Tree-Age that was not moving, set it up with arbor mectin, and it took off. I'm not brand loyal. I just don't want to be held up all day on one property.
I'm using the arbor jet system.

Dbodave

I try to find Trunk tissue that's a adjacent to root flares, the depth of the hole to be drilled and also the plug placement needs to be just right, it might leak if too shallow but too deep and it will slow down. I also just got a quick Jet And that thing is amazing. One job I treated 9 Trees under 20 inches diameter each and I did them in about an hour.

jed1124

Same here. We were not having these problems last year with Tree Age. It's almost like they changed the formula. I heard other guys were having up take issues this year as well. Why do you cut with water with the tree iv but not the quick jet?

Dbodave

The Tree Iv is a micro infusion, better for large trees with higher volume of product needed. The quick jet is a micro injection, better for small trees with low volume needed. You could dilute but you may as well be using the IV then.

Spanky

Spanky says:

Arbormectin and Tree-age have the same active ingredient (4% emamectin benzoate) but different carrying agents. I don't believe arbormectin is a restricted use pesticide whereas Tree-age is (at least in Iowa).

Arbormectin folks are being sued by tree-age folks and they can't sell arbormectin right now. Trial date is Oct 13, 2015 so issue may be resolved soon.

Simplest handheld arborjet injection system (looks like a giraffe hypodermic) can, at times, be physically hard to inject plus the plugs are expensive ($50/100)

Have not used arbormectin q-gun but have seen it demonstrated, looks easier plus arbormectin product does not require plugs.

Brandt's enTREE is a prepackaged delivery system of Arbormectin (thus nonresricted in Iowa) however they only sell to applicators, not to the public. Too bad since this delivery system looks very useful to the
homeowner like me who just has a few ash trees in their yard.

Dbodave

You are incorrect. Rotam sells arbormectin. Lawsuit was arborjet vs rainbow scientific. Arborplugs seal the wound and prevent product from leaking and provides surface area for bark to heal over.
Tree physiology dictates uptake speed. If you are trying to inject when it's hotter than 85degrees and no rain in a week it will be slow. I only had a couple slow ones at end of summer and I treated over 300 myself this year. I work at a small tree company, rainbow is a few blocks away and they probably do 300 trees a day.

Spanky

Spanky responds to Dbodave

Maybe you were having a bad day to come out so adamantly. Can't tell if you are a shill for tree-age or simply a troll, maybe both. Bite me.

Arbormectin and Tree-age have the same active ingredient (4% emamectin benzoate) but different carrying agents. I don't believe arbormectin is a restricted use pesticide whereas Tree-age is (at least in Iowa).

Rainbow folks are being sued by tree-age folks and they can't sell arbormectin right now. Trial date is Oct 13, 2015 so issue may be resolved soon.

Simplest handheld arborjet injection system (looks like a giraffe hypodermic) can, at times, be physically hard to inject plus the plugs are expensive ($50/100)

Have not used arbormectin q-gun but have seen it demonstrated, looks easier plus arbormectin product does not require plugs.

Brandt's enTREE is a prepackaged delivery system of Arbormectin (thus nonresricted in Iowa) however they only sell to applicators, not to the public. Too bad since this delivery system looks very useful to the
homeowner like me who just has a few ash trees in their yard.

Dbodave

Wow really? Maybe you should learn some manners and learn how to read. You CAN get arbormectin from rotam. They ship for free, by the case of 4.

Zacchaeus

I use Arborjet Quikjet AIR and Treeage. Very happy with it. Good uptake, as long as environmental conditions are right.
Arbor plugs are a little pricey, but in my opinion those are the beauty about what makes the Arborjet system so nice: seal off the area to keep pesticide in, decay out, and nice surface for woundwood...

JustinK

The only downside to Tree-age is the price. Ive only had slow uptake on a couple large (30"+) trees. The rest were all within a few minutes.

I did one job last year that involved 24 trees. All 18-24". I used two TreeIV systems leap frogging from tree to tree.

Set up one tree, start drilling the next, and by the time I had that tree set up, the previous was done.

I was done in about 2hr 15min.

Anxious to see how the new product does. Rainbow makes good products though. I shouldn't say that, seeing as how they're a direct competitor in town.

BruceCO

After multiple seasons of treeage. We started this spring finishing off the rest of our bottles and testing out the arbormectin. Obnoxious difference in uptake. Had five drought stressed white ash ranging from 9-13" today. I e been dreading this one because it took almost 4 hours last time. Knocked the job out in 48 minutes.

Zacchaeus

in my experience the environmental conditions are THE limiting factor, although injection placement and such also have an impact. Recently, i was injecting one day that was hot (90's) and very humid, soil was dry: led to VERY slow uptake. Then we had a downpour of rain, and the day after I went out and did injections. Same 90+ degree temps, still very humid, but the soil was very moist: led to FAST uptake. If the trees are starting to go toward summer drought dormancy and not transpiring, or doing so slowly, then uptake will be slow regardless of which formulation you are using.

JustinK

Used them in nearly identical trees. Arbormectin is INSANELY faster. 16-28" trees are taking about 2 minutes to uptake after opening the pressure up on Tree IV

jed1124

Tried Tree-Age G4 the other day. Large Ash 410ml, 4 bottles. Hooked up the G4 first, on the sunny side, the other 3 were ArborMectin on the shady side. The 3 with ArborMectin ran out, the 1 with G4 about a half hour later.
That being said the G4 is MUCH better than the original as far as uptake. It's usable, where sometimes in some conditions the original just wasn't. I will definitely be using G4 in a pinch but I ordered a few cases of ArborMectin. I really wanted to be able to use the G4 on a regular bases because I can buy it by the bottle instead of a case at a time. Just can't be spending extra time waiting for uptake.