Treating ganoderma

Neill

Participating member
Has anyone a good method or product they would recommend in treating ganoderma?

In the archives I found some mention of clove oil, phosphite, and trachoderma? In other research I have not found any strong options.

I’ve got a mature southern red oak that has issues, but is a nice tree that still has decent foliage/ life. I’d like to prolong it. So far I’ve begun some reduction pruning and low dose fertilization.
My next thought is to slow the spread of what I believe to be some ganoderma fungus. For whatever it’s worth, this is a tree on my property, not a client.
42F7E3DD-2E1E-4AEF-9AE2-76764A2D4469.jpeg 80850E6C-B46E-4A49-8C2C-BD6F10939D6B.jpeg 4025E5B3-AC16-44D5-A793-E7E2A37544C4.jpeg

Chaplain242

Branched out member
Has anyone a good method or product they would recommend in treating ganoderma?

In the archives I found some mention of clove oil, phosphite, and trachoderma? In other research I have not found any strong options.

I’ve got a mature southern red oak that has issues, but is a nice tree that still has decent foliage/ life. I’d like to prolong it. So far I’ve begun some reduction pruning and low dose fertilization.
My next thought is to slow the spread of what I believe to be some ganoderma fungus. For whatever it’s worth, this is a tree on my property, not a client.
View attachment 76094 View attachment 76095 View attachment 76093
Yes have had good initial success with the Clove Leaf Oil, and since that was described have had two years to watch progression of my experimentation with it.

After the two treatments 6 weeks apart, the fungus appeared to be completely removed from the trunk, including all tendrils (mycelium) etc - upon initial inspection and after treatment it was amazing how far the mycelium progressed under the bark from the Ganoderma fruiting body.

It is worthy to note that the grass nearby had dollar spot fungus the year the ganoderma was discovered (The ganoderma was massive - so massive it looked like its own branch) so the ground may have been in a favorable condition for fungus to grow. Havent seen the Dollar Spot fungus since either.

Didnt see any fungus 12 months later, nor 18 months. Tree looked healthy but didnt grow bigger.

Last inspection some 6 weeks ago the fungus has returned with a vengeance with decline of the tree obvious with some branches dying off - the fungus obviously had mycelium harbored under the ground.

I was hesitant at the time to soil drench the ground in the chance it would kill the beneficial soil fungi on the roots, and kill the tree - the condition of the tree is now such that point is moot, and will be drenching the tree again and the soil this weekend to see what happens.

Next update in three months or so.

Chaplain242

Branched out member
Chaplain- what kind of tree is it? How did you apply the clove oil?
Callistemon, which is a smallish tree native to Australia.

I cut off the branch with Ganoderma (it was approximately 30” long) and sprayed cut tissue and surrounding bark with 3% solution. First treatment was without surfactant just vigorously shaking each time sprayed, second time with a few drops of Dishwashing detergent to assist miscibility and cut down the effort of shaking each time I wanted to spray as had to vigorously shake before spraying first time.

Also drilled into the top most area of infected wood and poured solution into the drill hole. after some 12 weeks (second spray treatment after 6 weeks just to be safe as it had rained in that time) all the infected tissue crumbled away leaving a cavity in the trunk (hollow).

Neill

Participating member
Thanks for the info. I’ll be interested to hear how a soil Drench does. I guess if the tree doesn’t live the drench could still be culturally worthwhile thing to do to control the fungus in that area?

Chaplain242

Branched out member
Thanks for the info. I’ll be interested to hear how a soil Drench does. I guess if the tree doesn’t live the drench could still be culturally worthwhile thing to do to control the fungus in that area?
Depends if it kills off the beneficial fungi - it could starve the tree out. Keep you posted...

Neill

Participating member
Sorry I was a bit quick there, I've used map gas on wounds with slime flux and it worked like a charm. You can excavate rotten material and try to treat the remainder with heat.
Lol, I really thought you meant to burn the tree down. I like your slime flux control though. I’ve never thought to use fire in phc before!

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo BayLeafDigital
Top Bottom