Traveling Abroad as a Climber

Hey Guys I’ve been climbing for 5 years and I’m pretty comfortable and confident with my removal, rigging, pruning skills. Now I want to jump on a Greyhound with my climber equipment and travel the USA for a couple years… doing what I love… climbing of course….

has anybody done the same? Is there any tips or information you can give to help prepare me … what are my chances of having a company offer me temporary housing and transportation?

FIRST POST ALERT WOOOT WOOOT WOOOT

Attachments

• 4F6FD1E4-FA2C-439B-8CEF-3C582E3480C3.jpeg
    4F6FD1E4-FA2C-439B-8CEF-3C582E3480C3.jpeg
    100.7 KB · Views: 77
  • 904D3867-D4BD-42C5-8E7D-827646BA9A46.jpeg
    904D3867-D4BD-42C5-8E7D-827646BA9A46.jpeg
    117.5 KB · Views: 79
  • 6E319F56-2C6E-4FDE-B50E-9BAE963463A7.jpeg
    6E319F56-2C6E-4FDE-B50E-9BAE963463A7.jpeg
    197.1 KB · Views: 78

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Administrator
welcome to Treebuzz

There are many treeworkers who have gone walkabout. Making a few first connections helps.

How about asking your current employer and workmates. They will know people in the next city over. Then it becomes leapfrog from city to city.

Chris Schultz

Participating member
Me being me, I wouldn’t hold my breath for temporary housing…. especially with the state of the housing market everywhere right now. A company car too? I feel owners would be more likely to be generous with housing/vehicles etc. to committed personnel seeking longer term employment. It sounds like your trying to travel and get new experiences, which I think is awesome, and I envy your future adventures, but I think the housing/vehicle thing could be a challenge.

Jonny

Been here a while
If you own a van or box truck or camper, you’ll never have to sleep in the rain. Your gear would be relatively secure. You can leave anytime.

Stumpsprouts

Branched out member
I really wanted to do this years past, investing in a reliable large cargo van etc and do pick up work while exploring the continental US. It’s a great idea! There are some folks on the buzz who are doing this, I’m sure they’ll chime in and show their rigs.

Getting lodging provided will be tough. Also having your own transportation once you are in the area is very important for most outfits and could greatly increase both your day rate and the amount of folks who would take you on. Plus how else will you go and explore and have fun once you get to a place?

Birdyman88

Branched out member
Since you're actually wanting to travel, you might focus in on trying to find some crews that spend a lot of time in disaster areas. Or, crews that are involved in large projects, like out West doing forestry stuff. In general, getting in with a local crew doing local customers is not going to provide a very large market for you without taking some time to build some relationships. I remember my younger years being single and on the road, man those were some good times! Good luck to you.

Birdyman88

Branched out member
Took me a minute to find it, but try this company. The owner used to hang out here on the board, and I know he did a lot of disaster relief. I believe his name was Justin. If you can reach him, he can certainly give you some insight into traveling around doing disaster cleanup.

VenasNursery

Carpal tunnel level member
Took me a minute to find it, but try this company. The owner used to hang out here on the board, and I know he did a lot of disaster relief. I believe his name was Justin. If you can reach him, he can certainly give you some insight into traveling around doing disaster cleanup.
You can find Justin on Tree Life on Facebook

Reach

Been here a while
Justin and gang definitely do a lot of disaster work, but I will add a word of caution. His company has made the news a couple times, and not in the best of ways. Do your research before you sign on there.

Birdyman88

Branched out member
His company has made the news a couple times
Gonna derail for a second ... But I always thought that was an interesting story. After Katrina, I knew people who made serious dough exploring the supply-demand curve doing stuff that wasn't too far out of the norm given the situation. If they could seal the deal, they were considered smart, and good businessmen. I guess the definition of good and evil all depends on which way the wind is blowing at that moment. Sorry for the derail.

Chris Schultz

Participating member
To the original poster, id try and find a crew that travels for work….. they’re out there (not just asplund). I thought I had a dream job lined up on the northwest coast that was a road gig for 10-14 day stints everything was rope access work, and I would’ve put me near great whitewater for my days off too, it was almost perfect…… filled out tons of paperwork, read/signed handbooks, they even had me on the payroll/work comp for my working interview….. I told my girlfriend (who would not be joining me) it drove a huge wedge in our relationship, and then the company went radio silent. I was super bummed, and it fucked my head up BAD. I would have left a place I had called home my whole adult life, my friends, my girlfriend, all of it to explore this new avenue, and they ghosted(thought maybe I fell victim to an elaborate identity theft scam). I hate to use cliches but I guess “it wasn’t meant to be”…..

I moved to Northern California from New Hampshire for a year and I think it was the best thing I did for my climbing career. Find a reputable company and surround yourself with climbers better than you and you’ll learn a lot.
If you want to live alone it’ll get expensive, I’d recommend renting a room month to month to save cash. If you take a bus make sure you have a plan for getting a vehicle asap- driving your own vehicle cross country is probably a better idea. Just have a plan before you move
And make sure you have some money saved up, your bank account is going to go down before it goes up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Guys I’ve been climbing for 5 years and I’m pretty comfortable and confident with my removal, rigging, pruning skills. Now I want to jump on a Greyhound with my climber equipment and travel the USA for a couple years… doing what I love… climbing of course….

has anybody done the same? Is there any tips or information you can give to help prepare me … what are my chances of having a company offer me temporary housing and transportation?

FIRST POST ALERT WOOOT WOOOT WOOOT
Hi I can give you temporary housing and transportation in Winter Park/Orlando, FL please call or text me at (407)719-5888

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo BayLeafDigital
Top Bottom