Transporter or shembiner

Hosocat

I have a petzl caritool on my weaver cougar saddle. It's ok, but you can tell it's a little flimsy and eventually is going to break.. I'm thinking about getting a transporter or shembiner. Transporter looks nice and has the clip for more security, but shembiner is definitely cheaper, and I like simple, well thought out designs like the shembiner. Any thoughts on comparing the two? Also, didn't the older shembiner have a circle molded into the bottom of it to hold a carabiner? Why did they get rid of that?

AdkEric

The Shembiner XL has a hole on the bottom for attaching a carabiner. I use one and I like it, since I've been using it I haven't felt like I needed the security of a gate. I don't use the bottom hole to attach my saw lanyard though, my harness has a dedicated attachment point for that. I have never used a transporter, but they are well reviewed and seem well made.

20200405_081624.jpg

Reach

I like the Shembiner, except for when I am pruning and my saw gets lifted out of the hook. The Transporter is nice for that, but the gate gets annoying if you’re used to the Shembiner. If you’re used to the Caritool, buy the Transporter, and I think you’ll be happier than you will with the Shembiner.

oldoakman

Being old, old school I dont use a long saw lanyard so I was a bit leery of using a shembiner that I got as a tcc judges gift. I currently have a transporter and love it. I usually run it unlocked except for when I am in really odd positions which is almost never.

colb

I've heard all the best things about Shem, so please don't take this wrong. I think the Shembiner will have an accident at some point, judging from the number of times I have had everything snag on it, and how I have vacated that side of my saddle for its exclusive use to avoid having stuff snag on it. Anything on that side of the saddle or in the middle back of the saddle invariably gets snagged on it. Right now, it is mostly my saw lanyard and the rubber strap connecting my hand saw scabbard to the back of my saddle. In the past, it was my speedline snaps, knee ascender, etc. I do not store anything on the right side now except my lanyard on the d ring, and my akimbo when I am done climbing for the day. I snag branches, rigging lines, climbing lines, captain hook lines, and anything snaggable on it. I feel like someone is going to rig down a 1000 lbs. branch and the line is going to go straight into the shembiner, and they are going to feel a lot of weight on that until the branch is down on the ground. Worse if a 1000lbs branch snags on it by a 1-inch stub. I like that the thin section hanging on the harness belt looks like it would break away at some point, and do so before the harness belt breaks. I'm sure that is a design feature. If anyone has any information that kind of goes against the above critique I would like to know that.

All that said, it is very convenient, and that is the whole thing about it - it's more convenient to put my saw there with one hand than it is to put it in the transporter (which I have never used). I'm sure that Shem is fine with it or he wouldn't use one. I'm using one, but I would trade for a transporter just to see how inconvenient it is.

What I'd really like to see happen is for the shembiner to be modified so that it has a piece of metal atop the hook that causes things falling from above to glance off the top piece and thus pass the hook. But, it would still be open so that I could rack my saw by slipping the handle up under the top piece and over the hook. Kind of like a maze entry.

If anyone knows Shem's handle on treebuzz please add it.

Hosocat

Merle, I was vaguely are the transporter gate can lock, but was kind of wondering why. I had not thought of it being to avoid getting snagged, like colb points out.

JeffGu

...a bit leery of using a shembiner that I got as a tcc judges gift....
I still have that thing, buddy... it's on my favorite saddle, in fact. Works like a charm. I haven't found that it snags any more than the Transporters, Vaults, Kongs, or Caritools (all of which I have). They're all great products, the Shembiner is a little more convenient on/off because it doesn't have a gate that you have to deal with it.

I have never had a chainsaw fall off of it, or anything get caught up in it that was a problem, but I try to stay aware of those things. I like the looks/size of the newer Shembiner XL and will probably buy one to try it out. Bigger means more chances for snags, but like I said... lots of stuff on my saddle snags things, even the ditty bags... so I just try to stay aware and deal with it. If you don't mind having a gate, the Transporters are especially nice, and sturdy. Locking the gate keeps twigs from getting caught in it when you're navigating very brushy parts of the tree. I prefer it in conifers like Spruce where every damn branch is an issue.

oldoakman

I still have that thing, buddy... it's on my favorite saddle, in fact. Works like a charm. I haven't found that it snags any more than the Transporters, Vaults, Kongs, or Caritools (all of which I have). They're all great products, the Shembiner is a little more convenient on/off because it doesn't have a gate that you have to deal with it.

I have never had a chainsaw fall off of it, or anything get caught up in it that was a problem, but I try to stay aware of those things. I like the looks/size of the newer Shembiner XL and will probably buy one to try it out. Bigger means more chances for snags, but like I said... lots of stuff on my saddle snags things, even the ditty bags... so I just try to stay aware and deal with it. If you don't mind having a gate, the Transporters are especially nice, and sturdy. Locking the gate keeps twigs from getting caught in it when you're navigating very brushy parts of the tree. I prefer it in conifers like Spruce where every damn branch is an issue.
Glad you are liking it. I haven't had any issues with the transporter or the gate. It is actually a bit easier to manipulate than the Climb Right bent gate binders I had been using for the purpose IMO.

Last edited:

swingdude

De' Island Buzzer
Shem is my good friend. Went to his wedding..that being said I have 2 original shembieners from the first batch ever made in 2015. I will never use anything else for my saw. Tried moving to a vault. Not going to happen. It never snags. Just where it is. My vaults occasionally catch things. They are on my left .....shembeiner on my right.

climbstihl

Anyone tried the Camp kilo yet? Doesn't cost much more than a large caritool, but is aluminum like a vault. Also no nose at all to snag stuff you're getting out, which is my biggest gripe with caritools.

AdkEric

Anyone tried the Camp kilo yet? Doesn't cost much more than a large caritool, but is aluminum like a vault. Also no nose at all to snag stuff you're getting out, which is my biggest gripe with caritools.
I ordered one just to try it, supplier I ordered it from is now saying they won't have them in stock until mid May now, so I've got no hands on feedback. I like how it attaches to the harness and I prefer a wire gate if I have to have a gate. Judging by the pictures, I think the gate opening may be a little small.

Hosocat

I'm not familiar with the camp kilo. Did a search at tree stuff and bartlett, but they don't have it. What is it like?

SomethingWitty

Arkansawyer
I've heard all the best things about Shem, so please don't take this wrong. I think the Shembiner will have an accident at some point, judging from the number of times I have had everything snag on it, and how I have vacated that side of my saddle for its exclusive use to avoid having stuff snag on it. Anything on that side of the saddle or in the middle back of the saddle invariably gets snagged on it. Right now, it is mostly my saw lanyard and the rubber strap connecting my hand saw scabbard to the back of my saddle. In the past, it was my speedline snaps, knee ascender, etc. I do not store anything on the right side now except my lanyard on the d ring, and my akimbo when I am done climbing for the day. I snag branches, rigging lines, climbing lines, captain hook lines, and anything snaggable on it. I feel like someone is going to rig down a 1000 lbs. branch and the line is going to go straight into the shembiner, and they are going to feel a lot of weight on that until the branch is down on the ground. Worse if a 1000lbs branch snags on it by a 1-inch stub. I like that the thin section hanging on the harness belt looks like it would break away at some point, and do so before the harness belt breaks. I'm sure that is a design feature. If anyone has any information that kind of goes against the above critique I would like to know that.

All that said, it is very convenient, and that is the whole thing about it - it's more convenient to put my saw there with one hand than it is to put it in the transporter (which I have never used). I'm sure that Shem is fine with it or he wouldn't use one. I'm using one, but I would trade for a transporter just to see how inconvenient it is.

What I'd really like to see happen is for the shembiner to be modified so that it has a piece of metal atop the hook that causes things falling from above to glance off the top piece and thus pass the hook. But, it would still be open so that I could rack my saw by slipping the handle up under the top piece and over the hook. Kind of like a maze entry.

If anyone knows Shem's handle on treebuzz please add it.
I just want to throw out that I have two original shembiners, and they are no longer shaped identically.
I can only guess that I bent my left one by snagging it during a swing or as I muscled off of a dead stub or something, but it is definitely deformed from some amount of load that was small enough that I didn't pay it any mind when it happened.
I bet it would go before it ripped me in half.

Greg_L

I've used both Petzl caritools, a wiregate Vault, and a standard Shembiner. They all have their purposes, but none of them hold a candle to the Shem for holding a chainsaw. It never snags on anything...brush is more likely to get stuck behind a gate than in this thing. Going on five years of use, wouldn't trade it out.

SomethingWitty

Arkansawyer
I've used both Petzl caritools, a wiregate Vault, and a standard Shembiner. They all have their purposes, but none of them hold a candle to the Shem for holding a chainsaw. It never snags on anything...brush is more likely to get stuck behind a gate than in this thing. Going on five years of use, wouldn't trade it out.
I love them as well. I bought two after the first time I saw one and they've been on my saddle ever since.

I'd rock a transporter if one was given to me, but I wouldn't take off my shembiners. I'd probably put a locking gate tool on my leg strap.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom