Trailer purchase

Better trailer for loading logs and occasionally brush?

• Total voters
I am a one man show and have a grapple dump trailer made by AM Machinery. 16k with 8000 pound carrying capacity. It’s got the smaller 17’ boom which is rated at 2300 pounds half reach. It does everything I want it to do. I just got a mini loader. Between the two pieces of equipment my job just got a lot easier.

Attachments

• E04D048F-39C2-40CB-9990-168E7A6CF797.jpeg
    E04D048F-39C2-40CB-9990-168E7A6CF797.jpeg
    6.4 MB · Views: 45
  • FD49202F-37E8-4935-B31B-F0A9697DE5C4.jpeg
    FD49202F-37E8-4935-B31B-F0A9697DE5C4.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 47

Jehinten

Carpal tunnel level member
How are you dealing with brush? Are you pulling a trailer anyway and loading with the mini?
I partner with two other companies depending on the job determines who I work with that day. One has a Bandit 200 and the other has a Bandit 1890XP to take the brush. The second company with the 1890 also owns the grapple trailer that posted a picture of. Since they are not on every job, I was considering getting one for myself.

Reactions: DSW

Jehinten

I've begun looking into the hybrid dump trailers and got some information from a couple of builders. I contacted company with the 8' stationary and 12' dump ($11,700+tax) and they are not taking on any custom orders at this time. So there's no chance at getting the 4'/16' that I was wanting, through them.

Another company, Felling trailers, will build to the specs that I want although their price is about double of the other trailer and has a lead time of 62 weeks.

Shown below are the specs listed online and the quote given to me by Feller Trailers. The price for the second one seems a bit high not to mention the lead time. Has anyone here had any experience with their trailers, or can see in the specs below the justification for 2X the price? Maybe I'm overlooking something there, apart from being the specs that I want and heavier axles I'm not seeing the extra cost compared to the other. Screenshot_20210813-084405_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20210813-084451_Gallery.jpg

Mitch Hoy

Participating member
I have priced out a couple trailers with Felling, and they are always almost twice the cost of other brands. I believe the finish is better and some components more durable. If it’s a trailer that isn’t going to get abused, they are supposed to last a long time. I can’t speak from experience- I have always gone with cheaper options because I know are going to get banged up.

Reach

Been here a while
Felling has a good reputation for building a solid trailer, which probably is part of the expense.

I do see some big differences between the two trailers that will make a price difference too. The Felling has a higher GVW, heavier axles (and by extension a stronger frame) and an Oak deck, also an 8’ wide deck instead of 7’.

I would suggest looking into Belmont Trailers, we buy ours from Pine Hill Trailers in Gordonville, PA - Pine Hill is the largest dealer of Belmonts, so they can have things built that no one else can. Belmont trailers aren’t cheap, but will probably be less than the Felling, and will be as well built or quite possibly better.

Jehinten

I would suggest looking into Belmont Trailers, we buy ours from Pine Hill Trailers in Gordonville, PA - Pine Hill is the largest dealer of Belmonts, so they can have things built that no one else can. Belmont trailers aren’t cheap, but will probably be less than the Felling, and will be as well built or quite possibly bebetter.
I've called Pine Hill and just got off of the phone with Belmont Trailers manufacturer and they are not making this style trailer, but thank you for the recommendation.

oceans

Been here a while
@Jehinten , a trailer might not be your answer. What about looking into a 26,000 GVWR truck with a small boom on it? That way you can legally pull a 10,000 GVWR trailer without a CDL. That could potentially give you close to 20,000 lbs. of payload in one trip. Your truck could potentially load the trailer, and the trailer could also haul your mini. If the job only generated a payload that filled the truck, you can carry everything in (equipment) and out (equipment & materials) in one trip. And your trailer could be a simple flat bed with ramps, giving you a great payload to curb weight ratio.

I bought a Farma C7,0D Log Boom and am currently rear mounting it on My 26,000 GVW Peterbilt 330. When I get my CDL (should have it by the end of the year…and it’s about friggin time), I can pull a much bigger trailer.

Only your market and co-worker relationships can dictate the right truck/trailer combination, but I just want to express the issue of what I see all too often…and that is investing more GVW in your trailer than your truck. If your staying under CDL, get the most out of your truck and pull a 10k trailer. If you get your CDL, you can add a larger trailer, or even a lift axle on your truck for not too much money. This is all my opinion, of course, and I don’t mean to throw you totally off base, but I really think its worth considering.

Last edited:

Jehinten

@Jehinten , a trailer might not be your answer. What about looking into a 26,000 GVWR truck with a small boom on it? That way you can legally pull a 10,000 GVWR trailer without a CDL. That could potentially give you close to 20,000 lbs. of payload in one trip. Your truck could potentially load the trailer, and the trailer could also haul your mini. If the job only generated a payload that filled the truck, you can carry everything in (equipment) and out (equipment & materials) in one trip. And your trailer could be a simple flat bed with ramps, giving you a great payload to curb weight ratio.

I bought a Farma C7,0D Log Boom and am currently rear mounting it on My 26,000 GVW Peterbilt 330. When I get my CDL (should have it by the end of the year…and it’s about friggin time), I can pull a mulch bigger trailer.

Only your market and co-worker relationships can dictate the right truck/trailer combination, but I just want to express the issue of what I see all too often…and that is investing more GVW in your trailer than your truck. If your staying under CDL, get the most out of your truck and pull a 10k trailer. If you get your CDL, you can add a larger trailer, or even a lift axle on your truck for not too much money. This is all my opinion, of course, and I don’t mean to throw you totally off base, but I really think its worth considering.
Interesting that you mention that, I've been leaning that way myself. Honestly I'm all over the place on what would be best for me and I'm not in a huge hurry so I'm not rushing into things.

Once I started getting prices I thought if $25,000 will get me a trailer then why not $35,000 for that grapple trailer. Which then found me looking at heavier duty (compared to the trailer in my first post) short wheelbase loader trucks with trailers for only a few thousand more.

I just ran through this last years jobs and half of my jobs a loader could have picked up debris from the street. And about 40-45% of my jobs a loader would have been helpful after forwarding debris with the mini skid. Leaving only 5-10% where I don't think it would have helped for those jobs due to the amount of debris or they were no cleanup.

oceans

Been here a while
Interesting that you mention that, I've been leaning that way myself. Honestly I'm all over the place on what would be best for me and I'm not in a huge hurry so I'm not rushing into things.

Once I started getting prices I thought if $25,000 will get me a trailer then why not $35,000 for that grapple trailer. Which then found me looking at heavier duty (compared to the trailer in my first post) short wheelbase loader trucks with trailers for only a few thousand more.

I just ran through this last years jobs and half of my jobs a loader could have picked up debris from the street. And about 40-45% of my jobs a loader would have been helpful after forwarding debris with the mini skid. Leaving only 5-10% where I don't think it would have helped for those jobs due to the amount of debris or they were no cleanup.
Long story short, I was trailer based for WAY too long. I sank WAY too much money into F350s. I really could have spent less money by finding the right 26k truck years ago.

Of you look hard enough, I can almost guarantee you’ll find a good used boom truck for a similar price as a new heavy trailer.

oceans

Been here a while
If you end up doing the 26k truck 10k trailer route you will be under CDL, but you will need to get a DOT Number and a DOT Medical Card. Don’t let that be discouraging.

I think a good number of people end up using a truck just over 10k, and a trailer just over 10k with a combined over 26k. This puts them in CDL Class A territory and they might not even realize it.

Reach

Been here a while
If you end up doing the 26k truck 10k trailer route you will be under CDL, but you will need to get a DOT Number and a DOT Medical Card. Don’t let that be discouraging.

I think a good number of people end up using a truck just over 10k, and a trailer just over 10k with a combined over 26k. This puts them in CDL Class A territory and they might not even realize it.
There’s so many dually pickups around here with no numbers on them, dragging CTLs on 14k trailers it’s crazy. I guarantee none of them have a Class A either, nor do they likely know (or care) that they need them.

oceans

Been here a while
There’s so many dually pickups around here with no numbers on them, dragging CTLs on 14k trailers it’s crazy. I guarantee none of them have a Class A either, nor do they likely know (or care) that they need them.
Same here, bra.

colb

Been here a while
Long story short, I was trailer based for WAY too long. I sank WAY too much money into F350s. I really could have spent less money by finding the right 26k truck years ago.

Of you look hard enough, I can almost guarantee you’ll find a good used boom truck for a similar price as a new heavy trailer.
@Gerasimek had a 26k COA unit for sale a couple months ago. The boom is WAY nice.

I'm in the same space as you, @Jehinten. Still looking for a 26k that I can stick a backpack toolbox, mini platform, and dump rolloff onto... They are either too expensive to buy outright, too inexpensive to get a loan on, or too costly to get financing based on my credit report. It's a crazy effed up world.

oceans

Been here a while
@Gerasimek had a 26k COA unit for sale a couple months ago. The boom is WAY nice.

I'm in the same space as you, @Jehinten. Still looking for a 26k that I can stick a backpack toolbox, mini platform, and dump rolloff onto... They are either too expensive to buy outright, too inexpensive to get a loan on, or too costly to get financing based on my credit report. It's a crazy effed up world.
A few months ago, my bud said “you know it’s all over when you’re thinking about what music gear you can sell to buy tree gear!” I laughed and said “Now you’re totally F@&$ed!” It is a pickle you e described, but maybe Western Equipment Finance can help you out. Call and ask for Joel Schuman and see if he can help you get the right older truck.

Reach

Been here a while
A few months ago, my bud said “you know it’s all over when you’re thinking about what music gear you can sell to buy tree gear!” I laughed and said “Now you’re totally F@&$ed!” It is a pickle you e described, but maybe Western Equipment Finance can help you out. Call and ask for Joel Schuman and see if he can help you get the right older truck.
@colb You can also try DJ Jackson at Oakmont Capital in West Chester, PA. They’re good at creative financing, and financing older equipment.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo BayLeafDigital
Top Bottom