Today....

evo

Been here a while
Had a new one today. While on break, we had a lady walk her dog up to our brush pile and let her dog pee on it. She was not our customer.

What the hell is wrong with people?
Fuck, I had some neighbor walking his dog come up to see what we were doing. His dog lifts his leg on the road cones, he pointed to the dog looking right at me, chuckled and walked away.. only later to come back and demand we top the tree for his view

27RMT0N

Carpal tunnel level member
Always playing with systems to see what I can improve, and bought the DMM Throwing Hook to see if it's a lot better than my ebay-special grapple. I do like my current grapple, but if you throw it once and hang it up on something you can't trust, there is just no way to get it back, it's stuck. The DMM is a lot more expensive ($185 vs ~$30....) so hopefully it plays nicely with our firs when I need to move between them.

Other than that, I also bought the Shoulder Shot Line Launcher. With tall firs being the bulk of what I work in, being able to set lines higher than what my Big Shot sounded nice..... but today was my first time playing with it and so far it just isn't working all that well. It impressed me shooting at low angles for distance, but once I pointed it upward into the trees, it just didn't do much. Maybe I'm using it wrong and need to put in some time learning the tool (which is true with everything) but so far I haven't been able to shoot any higher than with my Big Shot, around 80'. I'm using the recommended 12oz Weaver throwbag, with 200' of DynaGlide on it, and even at 110psi, is struggling to hit 90'. (the tool itself says 110psi max, the website sys 125psi?) Their website also says "The product can reach a vertical distance of 250+ feet," maybe that's only with fishing line on the throwbag? I'm also struggling with accuracy compared to the Big Shot, as your opening the ball-valve quickly tends to jerk it around a bit, plus just being harder to sight compared to the Big Shot which you can be directly behind and centered on, giving a great sight picture. I really want to like this tool because if it can live up to it's promises it would be great. Anyone else have one and can offer some tips?

00 throw 01.jpg

00 throw 02.jpg

00 throw 03.jpg

Winchman

Branched out member
I've been thinking about getting an Air Powered Tree Access launcher from TreeStuff. I think the latest version has a butterfly valve instead of a ball valve. At least that's what's shown in the video on their website. The butterfly valve takes less torque to open, so you can open it faster without throwing your aim off. The safety label on the APTA says 200psi max, but the valve is only good for 175.

There are other launchers that use modified lawn sprinkler valves, but they're only good for 120psi.

I'd like to use .22 blanks to power a line launcher, but the local police tell me that would be illegal because of the city firearm law.

Jehinten

There are other launchers that use modified lawn sprinkler valves, but they're only good for 120psi.
For what its worth, I built a diy one with the sprinkler valve. I did not modify the valve, instead I wired 3 9 volt batteries in series to actuate the valve. This allowed me to use a push button trigger to launch it. No rotation= no pulling the shot to the side.

The few times that I used this launcher it worked great, but about the time I finished building it I decided I needed to work on my throwing and not rely on a tool that could break or get left at the shop. So it's been sitting in the corner collecting dust ever since.

dmonn

Participating member
The discharge tubing on the Shoulder Shot looks short. I wonder if a longer tube would increase the muzzle velocity, kind of like the difference between a handgun and a rifle? Just total speculation on my part. I'm not really a gun guy.

southsoundtree

Been here a while
Practice.

Insert the bag with the ring down. A couple extra inches of slack under the bag is my style.

Lighter line goes farther. My lines are under 2mm, IIRC.

Tap the butt of the launcher to get the bag down all the way, and snug to the sides.

A guy on the TreeHouse cut foam discs for under the bag

My friend built his own, blew the bag way over a 160' pondo during demo-ing.

oceans

Been here a while
I remember learning about the F1 engines, with cylinder/piston tolerances so tight that they won’t even rotate until at operating temps. They do this by running hot coolant through the block until it’s at the proper temp before start up.

Bottom line, the power they make with tight tolerances vs. an engine that rotates freely when cold is off the charts. The more air trapped behind the bag, the farther it will launch, as long as the fit isn’t so tight it detracts from movement.

27RMT0N

Things I love: my 261 with an 18" bar, and the chip truck I bought from @chiselbit 6 months ago. Still need to get some graphics on it.... maybe a winter project since none of the companies called me back earlier this year....

(the photo really doesn't show the angles, but the ground was damp and there was NO WAY I'd have taken a 2-wheel drive truck there, a situation I've had probably three times in the past week alone)

00 things 01.jpg

00 things 02.jpg

And why do people always call me for the worst trees?? Western Hemlock's are just terrible trees out here, 40-50 years before they become a hollow nightmare.

00 things 03.jpg

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo BayLeafDigital
Top Bottom