Tips/articles/advice for doing 2-rope SRT? (ie having a second anchor/rope setup)

eyehearttrees

I've "setup" a 90' section of Mercury with a pair of links at its end (in a fig.8.with.bight) so that, once in-canopy, I can just choke it wherever I want (and just leaving this line's prussik always on the line in case I didn't have extra on belt, rare but happens!)
19700101_190350.jpg

Haven't used it much I kinda tried it, didn't find it so useful, and haven't been taking that ^ up with me anymore but pretty convinced it's just that I'm not utilizing a 2nd line properly (one big thing, in hindsight, is anchor-spacing IE if the tie-in-points are nearby each other you won't get the "3-dimensional" advantage of 2 tethers suspending you, can see this being a technique that's really more of a "spreading canopies" trick than a "routine climbs" helper..)

Any&all advice/thoughts on using 2nd lines would be greatly appreciated, can totally 'see' how they'd help just wish I'd experienced it!!

(PS- I still suck at setting lines from the ground and tend to spur or free climb to set anchors whenever I can get away with it, considering how vital anchor-spacing seems to be for this has me wondering if it's a tech that, to really get-use outta, you've gotta be setting distant anchors[ie via the ground] Will be using PVC piping to make a big-ass slingshot (like from the magazines) in hopes it'll get me setting/retrieving from the ground!!)

Da Pollinator

Get Big Shot wit trigger so u can aim and keep steady shot, you can get very good at shooting after 1 month of it.Me and my Bigshot have to bailout hand throwers all the time LOL!!!Hand throwing can be fun but not the same as a steady ready aim.I climb dual srt so I can preset everything from ground even my span riggin or zipline and go right to work.You want the customer to know they called the right person:bailando::bailando::bailando: Oh yeah Bigshot is cheap and will last lite years!!!

SomethingWitty

Arkansawyer
Multiple lines are much more of a hindrance when the anchors are separate.
You operate them basically the same as one (system when they are) from close anchors and alternate them through redirects, or use the one that doesn't get redirected to easily remove redirects that don't have an easy way to crawl back through.
Mostly it is more crap to deal with and it is a better use of your time and energy to focus on being a good climber. Set one really bomber anchor in the time it takes to set two.

Edited slightly for coherence

Last edited:

SomethingWitty

Arkansawyer
Get Big Shot wit trigger so u can aim and keep steady shot, you can get very good at shooting after 1 month of it.Me and my Bigshot have to bailout hand throwers all the time LOL!!!Hand throwing can be fun but not the same as a steady ready aim.I climb dual srt so I can preset everything from ground even my span riggin or zipline and go right to work.You want the customer to know they called the right person:bailando::bailando::bailando: Oh yeah Bigshot is cheap and will last lite years!!!
I'll play horse all day.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom