Tie in Point Question

danetj862

Hey everyone,

I am an entry level tree climber, my tree work experience consisted of felling trees for large clearings. For the past coupe weeks, I have been working on tree climbing. I am waiting for a buddy who is an experienced climber to come give me hand & show me the ropes. In the meantime, I've practiced as much as I can in my own backyard on Norway Spruce Trees. I have all the basic tree climbing gear to get my feet wet & have one other thing I can see being helpful.

That would be in regards to tie in points / friction savers. My original plan was to purchase a 2"x4' - 2 ply eye-eye synthetic lifting sling (6200Lbs WLL) w/ 2" Web-sling shackle safety nut (8050WLL). My thought was I could use this set up over branches as a friction saver as well as tie in point. I've climbed some of my Spruce trees as high as 45' +/- which some prove hard to find trustworthy tie in point. I was thinking I could use this webbing sling, wrapped around the Bole of the tree and then clipped together w/ a rated carabiner or my sling shackles. Then my rope could be run through the carabiner as if It was around the bole itself. What do you guys think about this idea & how it would work for me?

Not trying to re-invent the wheel, but this option is $40 total vs $65+ for an actual friction saver. Plus all the info I've seen so far, people use web slings for tie in points around main stems. A quick second thought I had was if I cut a section of my 5/8" bull rope & tied carabiners or sling shackles to use it as a friction saver / tie in point?

Thanks guys & I apologize if this has already been asked & answered.

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Administrator
This is how I used to make my FC's

1" tubular webbing sling
Cross stitched eyes for biner and screw link
A row of stitching up both edges of the sling to make a loop into a flat webbing.

My sewing didn't change the strength or function of the webbing loop.

False crotch 1 inch webbing homemade closeup arrows for sewing.jpg

I've been considering a F/S recently as well. If I do I will just buy a real F/S. I'm not trying to call u cheap or anything like that, but when it comes to my life hanging on a rope I'm gonna use the proper proven stuff especially when it's only 50 bucks. Those large/wide crotches are a work out using a drt blakes set up

Merle Nelson

That's what makes it possible for you to retire and live the life of Riley Tom.

Welcome danetj862. I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum from you, if there is another FS out there and it looks like it will work better under one specific situation I want it. My favorite for single stem trees or trees without big strong crotches at tie in points is the 5/8" line ten feet long with steel rings on each end. It also has a prussic with a steel ring able to to adjusted anywhere along its length. Steel can be pulled out of the tree and allowed to hit the ground most times and I still feel good about it.

Another thing I like but you didn't ask about is the old style leather FS that is just a U shape with the rope threaded through it (buy in 3/4 inch version not 1/2 inch). I use it for a moving rope system at times or for a stationary rope, anytime I'm in a pitchy tree especially, even if it's a takedown.

Last edited:

danetj862

That's what makes it possible for you to retire and live the life of Riley Tom.

Welcome danetj862. I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum from you, if there is another FS out there and it looks like it will work better under one specific situation I want it. My favorite for single stem trees or trees without big strong crotches at tie in points is the 5/8" line ten feet long with steel rings on each end. It also has a prussic with a steel ring able to to adjusted anywhere along its length. Steel can be pulled out of the tree and allowed to hit the ground most times and I still feel good about it.

Another thing I like but you didn't ask about is the old style leather FS that is just a U shape with the rope threaded through it (buy in 3/4 inch version not 1/2 inch). I use it for a moving rope system at times or for a stationary rope, anytime I'm in a pitchy tree especially, even if it's a takedown.

Thank you for the information! So it sounds like I could make one out of my 5/8" rigging rope then seeing as how the WLL is suitable for life support? Didn't think of the leather strap idea, I'll have to check that out as well!

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Administrator

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom