Thoughts on the stability of this tree for removing without crane?

climbingmonkey24

The root plate of this tree has started coming up but there’s only a slightly raised area you can see in the pics. The actual roots haven’t broken.

It has a lean towards house. But I think it’s a natural lean not from the wind.

My thoughts:

Get on the roof and piece tops out with pole saw and then piece rest out. No climbing required. If I have to do any rigging there’s another tree I can rig off of.

I’m wondering though about the potential for the tree to fail while we are working. I’m not gonna shock load it or put any weight on it.

This happened yesterday from a wind storm.

Doable without crane / bucket you think?

Attachments

SumoClimber

Maybe I've spent too much time rednecking it, but that looks fairly simple to me. Could probably manage to push it over with a Stalpen Tree Jack, or pull with a winch/vehicle. If it were me, I'd probably attach a pull rope about even with the roofline, since it seems you have good access.

Phil

I think you can get a tag line high enough if you use a big shot. Get some 5/8 stable braid in it to be safe and crank her over with a grcs or other winching device. I have a Honda Civic I'll contract out to you to help pull it over. It's got 176 HP, 1.5 L turbo. Between a grcs and my civic tree puller, I think you won't have to spend the money on a crane.

climbingmonkey24

I appreciate the advice but what about piecing it out and the question of the stability of the tree. Obviously nobody can know for sure...but just based off the pics, do you think it’s too risky or...?

I already have an idea on what to do. I’m not one hundred percent comfortable on dropping it whole. You can’t see the whole yard but there’s other shrubbery / trees in the way.

Lupin_IV

Polesawing that looks terribly tedious, you should go for this Honda subcontractor :b

But I'm sure you could finagle it with a polesaw

Phil

Alright, I'll be honest...I thought this whole post was satirical because of the mention of using/not using a crane. And the tree looks pretty damned small. I'll give some legitimate suggestions now that it appears that's what you're actually wanting.

I've used nearby trees to rig out a redbud that was unsafe to climb and right next to the roof. All cuts made with a pole saw.

Things I would consider for your tree based on the pics...back guy it and climb it. No rigging. Handsaw stuff away from the house. Then use a top handle saw for everything else. Snap cuts. 20 minutes of in tree time max. Or so it looks like from my couch.

Last edited:

Birdyman88

As for stability, any weight you take off the tree will make it more stable, resulting in less leverage at the roots. It's not uprooted and you said the roots are intact, so you're not really at risk of the root ball doing anything sudden or unpredictable. I just don't see any issues with piecing it, except for those pieces taking a bad bounce on ground, or clipping the roof. Guy lines may make you more comfortable, but they may get in the way of your pieces, and money says it will loosen once you start removing weight.

Birdyman88

If I might add something else. It looks like you could pull that realtor sign and lay it down right in that gap. You could pull at an angle to your direction of fall to counteract lean. You have a legit concern about roots holding up to pull and hinge stress. So don't cut the whole thing at once. Drop those two leaders separately. This means less pull force and less hinge stress aggrevating the roots. Just something to consider.

Winchman

I'd get a rope on it at the roof line, and start pulling it away from the house. Then I'd cut the roots on the house side with a mattock, and alternate between pulling and cutting more roots until I could cut the top off from the ground with the pole saw. The idea is to use the tree itself to pull the stump up along with most of the roots. I've done several trees that size that way, both live and dead. Sure beats leaving an ugly obstacle in the yard.

Be sure you're clear of buried utilities before you start.

Reactions: evo

southsoundtree

Guy it as it leans, and climb. Don't straighten.

pull mailbox if needed and flop into the street.

Get a tow-behind bucket for $250-300, knock this down, and use the lift in another job before returning, if possible.

Was the ground saturated?
Poor rooting?
Did you dig to examine roots?

dsptech

Ladders are dangerous especially at that steep lean. :rayos:

I climb trees with steeper leans than that.
Limb it on the way up and piece out the top.
Work your way down using snap cuts so you control the direction of fall the the pieces you take.

IMG_20200203_162828_02.jpg
IMG_20200203_162821_01.jpg

This is the Elm tree I took out today.
IMG_20200729_124606.jpg
Yep, climbed way up on those skinny stems to avoid hitting the garages and shed.
Just take your time and and plan your process and stay safe.

climbingmonkey24

There was another extension to that ladder that hadn’t been put up yet so it was no where’s near that steep as in picture.

Did the job yesterday.

Used a large oak nearby as a high rigging point. Pieced large tops of each leader out with pole saw from roof, then used chainsaw and took a large piece of each stem and then pieced the rest of the trunk / stems out.

We were using a pole saw that has a real good heavy duty blade on it and is I wanna say about 15 ft long so it wasn’t bad at all.

Phil

What was the dbh and height of this tree? The pics are so confusing to me just from a perspective difference. In one pic it looks like it's a 8" tree maybe 25' tall. In another it looks like it dwarfs the ladder and is much taller.

Chaplain242

Rig the leader off other leader closer to street, about height gutter. Spear/salami cut leader close to house. Cut I pieces as you lower it. Should swing away from gutter - if doesn’t pull with polesaw or other type pole or preset rope. Then can drop leader closer to street in any direction.

evo

Ladders are dangerous especially at that steep lean. :rayos:

I climb trees with steeper leans than that.
Limb it on the way up and piece out the top.
Work your way down using snap cuts so you control the direction of fall the the pieces you take.

View attachment 69663
View attachment 69665

This is the Elm tree I took out today.
View attachment 69666
Yep, climbed way up on those skinny stems to avoid hitting the garages and shed.
Just take your time and and plan your process and stay safe.
That’s not a tree, it’s just a branch! ;p

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom